Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its 'Find My Friends' location notification app. The small update makes it slightly more streamlined to search for and set location-based notifications.

The Next Web has more information about what has changed specifically:
The new interface for setting up those alerts has been tweaked to let you set the exact distance threshold from a location. This lets you fine-tune the sensitivity of an alert for, say, two different buildings on a campus. If you just wanted to know when someone is 'home', the older process with a 'fixed' zone was fine, but if you were looking to get notices when someone gets into a neighborhood, it was pretty much impossible.
fmfnewandold.jpg
Left: Old UI, Right: New UI
Find My Friends is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Find My Friends' Updated With Redesigned Location Alerts Page

JeremyWesley

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Since when do notifications actually work

I've tried them several times, never ever got a notification that the person left of arrived. What good is UI redesign if they dont work.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Apparently there was too much focus on the Podcast app and not enough on changing this hideous looking leather bound app... :eek:

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
It never works! No matter what I do! But If it would work, I would like to have multiple presets with notifications to check the kids!

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Am I the only one who LOVES the design of this app? The leather makes it feel premium, like I'm using an expensive quality product that can only be found on iOS. It contrasts strongly to the cheap looking Android apps.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Great update! You can now drop a pin on a custom location instead of using a street address. You can also set a custom radius.

I hope the Reminders app gets this functionality soon for location-based alert triggers.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I knows tons of people that have iPhones, but the only people I have on this app are my mother (because I took her phone and added it myself), my girlfriend (because she took my phone and added it herself), and an old friend (because he just got an iPhone and we wanted to test it out)

People think the whole app idea is just creepy, which is understandable. I think it's pretty useful though!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I knows tons of people that have iPhones, but the only people I have on this app are my mother (because I took her phone and added it myself), my girlfriend (because she took my phone and added it herself), and an old friend (because he just got an iPhone and we wanted to test it out)

People think the whole app idea is just creepy, which is understandable. I think it's pretty useful though!

That's why I don't use it. Why do you need to know where I am all the time?

hYHPIQl.jpg

Last edited:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Am I the only one who LOVES the design of this app? The leather makes it feel premium, like I'm using an expensive quality product that can only be found on iOS. It contrasts strongly to the cheap looking Android apps.

I am (now) a fan too. The flat designs of Android apps and Windows Phone apps really just make the apps bland and boring.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
That's why I don't use it. Why do you need to know where I am all the time?

I hate to pin this one on lack of life experience, but here we go:
1. When you and your wife/husband/fiance lives separately on the east/west coast due to work. It's nice to know if they have arrived at work or arrived at home safely without calling them all the time.

2. When you have worrying parents who have kids living or working for long period of time overseas.

3. When you have teenagers who is bad at telling you when they are home.

4. When you have active older parents who you want to keep track of, to make sure they are where they are suppose to be. Instead of calling them when you are at work you can simply turn the apps on and check on them.

Bottom line, don't fight things for the sake of fighting things. Everything has its disadvantage, as well as it's advantage.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007

Yes, you are. It's garish, tacky, and the leather doesn't even have any thematic relation to the app's functionality.

And as a vegetarian, it mostly just disgusts me.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I've tried them several times, never ever got a notification that the person left of arrived. What good is UI redesign if they dont work.

They've worked just fine for me. They only work once though, so if I say "notify me when my wife leaves the office" it's only going to notify me the first time and then I have to set the notification up again. It won't notify you every time.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

You weren't the only one. There was a guy at Apple named Scott that liked the design as well.

Fairly certain he no longer works there.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I hate to pin this one on lack of life experience, but here we go:
1. When you and your wife/husband/fiance lives separately on the east/west coast due to work. It's nice to know if they have arrived at work or arrived at home safely without calling them all the time.

2. When you have worrying parents who have kids living or working for long period of time overseas.

3. When you have teenagers who is bad at telling you when they are home.

4. When you have active older parents who you want to keep track of, to make sure they are where they are suppose to be. Instead of calling them when you are at work you can simply turn the apps on and check on them.

Bottom line, don't fight things for the sake of fighting things. Everything has its disadvantage, as well as it's advantage.

Wow...you're saying I have lack of life experience now? Interesting theory you have on someone you don't know.

1) sounds silly. my wife is grown. I can call, text and email to see how's she's doing.

2) email. why would I need an app to see where they are. I know where they are. If I'm worried, I call or email.

3) I have a teenage. I always know when he's home and leaves the house. My app for my home security system notifies me.

4) Why do I need to check on my active parents? They are active so obviously they have to go take of their own business. I can catch up with them with real conversation or dinner at the house.

Technology shouldn't be used to keep people on a leash. People should have their freedom without an app for me to "check on them" with. The whole premise of this app is just silly and creepy.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

Hmmmm, works for me. I geofenced a family member in a rehab facility (physical not addiction) so I would know when they were being transferred for tests, etc at the hospital.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Yes, you are. It's garish, tacky, and the leather doesn't even have any thematic relation to the app's functionality.

And as a vegetarian, it mostly just disgusts me.

Fake leather on a digital non-corporeal piece of software disgusts you. Wow, how much does gasoline cost on your world?

What if it were just a yucky brown/tan gradient? Would that be better, really? Do people even use this thing at all (besides OAG of course)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.