Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Hi can anyone give me some advice with buying a iMac? I have a old Dinosaur 2006 iMac core 2 duo and that thing freezes a lot. I have a MacBook Air 2011 so I'm accustomed to SSDs. I have money to buy a the iMac with fusion drive but I don't want to spend money on something I don't need, also the iMac 2006 gets 39 Megabits per second read and write now based on the YouTube videos that I have watched the iMac both 5400rpm and 7200 rpm Averaged around 100 megabits per second. That would be an improvement move 39 mb/s. My question is is the iMac with the 5400 rpm slow or should I get the fusion drive which I will have to wait longer for. I plan to do programming 5 min projects with Final Cut Pro for school and light gaming so what's your advice anyone?

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I have the entry level 27 inch and I'm so glad I went with the Fusion Drive. Applications load up blisteringly fast and also the system learns what you use most and places it on the Fusion Drive without any input on your part.

Also copying stuff to the iMac results in fast writes as the Fusion Drive has a 4GB write buffer.

For me, the Fusion Drive gives me the best of both worlds, SSD like speeds but with the storage capacity of a traditional hard drive. This is the best of both worlds until SSD's are of a similar price and storage capacity to traditional hard drives.

Pretty much all the posts I've read on various forums recommend the Fusion Drive as a really worth while upgrade, and I can certainly agree with that.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Hi can anyone give me some advice with buying a iMac? I have a old Dinosaur 2006 iMac core 2 duo and that thing freezes a lot. I have a MacBook Air 2011 so I'm accustomed to SSDs. I have money to buy a the iMac with fusion drive but I don't want to spend money on something I don't need, also the iMac 2006 gets 39 Megabits per second read and write now based on the YouTube videos that I have watched the iMac both 5400rpm and 7200 rpm Averaged around 100 megabits per second. That would be an improvement move 39 mb/s. My question is is the iMac with the 5400 rpm slow or should I get the fusion drive which I will have to wait longer for. I plan to do programming 5 min projects with Final Cut Pro for school and light gaming so what's your advice anyone?

The fusion drive will save you some time. I don't know what it's needed for other than time saving. Get the 7200RPM HDD, unless you want the benefits of the time saving load/read/write times involved with the fusion drive. That's my newbie thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.