Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I am trying to overclock my powerbook 7447A CPU, this has already been done to emacs, power macs, imacs, and mac minis.
Does this apply to powerbooks?
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/
Where are the msb pll pins that I can jump.
Where are the voltage control pins?

You already overclocked it, remember?

You had to reapply heatsink paste:
attachment.php

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
I am trying to overclock my powerbook 7447A CPU, this has already been done to emacs, power macs, imacs, and mac minis.
Does this apply to powerbooks?
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/
Where are the msb pll pins that I can jump.
Where are the voltage control pins?

Why the ***** do you keep trying to do stuff like this? Have you seen other people on this forum trying to do stuff like this? Sure, there are things you can do with a mac to improve the performance. But most of them do not involve modifying the motherboard to the extreme. I'm about to flash another pc videocard to make it work in a mac, this time i'll do it for my g5. I have overclocked my powemac g3 from 350 to 400 mhz just because i could do it easily and because everyone knows it runs ok at that frequency. Heck, i can get the damn thing up to 450mhz but not without an additional cooler and some extra thermal paste. But hell will freeze before i modify the thingy just for the sake of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why the ***** do you keep trying to do stuff like this? Have you seen other people on this forum trying to do stuff like this? Sure, there are things you can do with a mac to improve the performance. But most of them do not involve modifying the motherboard to the extreme. I'm about to flash another pc videocard to make it work in a mac, this time i'll do it for my g5. I have overclocked my powemac g3 from 350 to 400 mhz just because i could do it easily and because everyone knows it runs ok at that frequency. Heck, i can get the damn thing up to 450mhz but not without an additional cooler and some extra thermal paste. But hell will freeze before i modify the thingy just for the sake of it.

Have to agree here although your French was a bit harsh, I did this on my pismo a long time ago, it was easy but what is the gain, just a few percent and it's also less stable.
Reverted soon after and never overclocked a Mac again.
If the OP wants to over clock he better gets a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
You are obsessed with the whole overclock thing and if anyone would know about it on here it would be YOU wouldnt it? I thought I have seen you on here actually giving advice on overclocking powerbooks I might be mistaken though?

Here is my overclock guide
1.Get wristwatch or other timekeeping device
2.Get powerbook
3.Lay watch on smooth flat surface and place powerbook on top of it

Congratulations you now have a overclocked powerbook

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
It's not that stupid as it seems, 7447A would go to 1.92 easily, BUT... cooling is an issue. That's where Daystar hit the wall with their upgrades. So idea itself isn't bad, but OC'ed PB Aluminum won't ever be stable.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I will say it again like I always do.. Its NOT worth it to overclock a LAPPY.. You get what you pay for. Sure I too have overclocked my PPC processors once and almost damn near killed my system.. Yes, I also took out the G3 500 in my Pismo and replaced it with the G4 550 which I think only gave me some performance and not what I had wished it would give me.

Overclocking a laptop is just plain stupid and dumb, if you ask me. Besides, even I wanted to personally overclock my G4 1.67 to say a 2Ghz speed, I am sure it wouldn't even run well.. heck, it would break.

Leave overclocking to desktops, hackintoshes... Mac Pros are not overclockable and neither are any of Apple's other machines of today.

Have to agree here although your French was a bit harsh, I did this on my pismo a long time ago, it was easy but what is the gain, just a few percent and it's also less stable.
Reverted soon after and never overclocked a Mac again.
If the OP wants to over clock he better gets a PC.

you are obsessed with the whole overclock thing and if anyone would know about it on here it would be you wouldnt it? I thought i have seen you on here actually giving advice on overclocking powerbooks i might be mistaken though?

Here is my overclock guide
1.get wristwatch or other timekeeping device
2.get powerbook
3.lay watch on smooth flat surface and place powerbook on top of it

congratulations you now have a overclocked powerbook

Last edited:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I will say it again like I always do.. Its NOT worth it to overclock a LAPPY.. You get what you pay for. Sure I too have overclocked my PPC processors once and almost damn near killed my system.. Yes, I also took out the G3 500 in my Pismo and replaced it with the G4 550 which I think only gave me some performance and not what I had wished it would give me.

Overclocking a laptop is just plain stupid and dumb, if you ask me. Besides, even I wanted to personally overclock my G4 1.67 to say a 2Ghz speed, I am sure it wouldn't even run well.. heck, it would break.

Leave overclocking to desktops, hackintoshes... Mac Pros are not overclockable and neither are any of Apple's other machines of today.

HOLD IT!! the mac pro is very overclockable, people overclock pros all the time

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Oh yeah.. I forgot about that ZDnet overclock tool which only overclocks the speed, as it can't modify the voltage which would produce a true overclock. But to my knowledge only those with 2006-2008 Mac Pros could make use of that nifty app..

Those with 09,10 couldn't use it and were stuck with what they bought, unless they flashed the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware for 6-core goodness. You know what I am getting at?

:D

HOLD IT!! the mac pro is very overclockable, people overclock pros all the time

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
How am I advising people?

It just gives people the idea about it. Arent there some very well known overclocking forums?It's obvious that your not getting any real help here.Either way I personally would never want to mess with my perfectly stable powerbook BUT if there was some HIGH PROFILE guaranteed way to do it that was PROVEN to be stable you most likely would have heard about it and done it by now.....I dont even know WHY in the world I am asking this but when things are overclocked (any machine) would the ghz change like in the (about this mac) or would it be known only by you and your personal test done to the equipment?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
????
ATIccelarator supports powerbooks!!!
????
ATIccelarator can overclock any pre X1xx series ati gpu!
The 15" and 17" powerbooks use the radeon 9700.

You said that he should overclock it. You have a thread about how do I overclock it.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
You said that he should overclock it. You have a thread about how do I overclock it.

ATIccelarator is for the GPU.
I am trying to overclock the CPU.
I said to overclock the GPU; this works 100% of the time, CPU overclocking is not known if possible.
Two completely different things.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Overclocking a lappy's GPU is not recommended.. You can seriously mess up a screen and or something else, especially on a PowerBook G4. Leave it alone..

Rabidz, why do you constantly and insist on people doing things you claim you do? I don't mean to get involved, as I am usually neutral here on disciplinary matters, but seriously, man.. you've gotta stop this fabrication of Intel versions of OS X being installed on PowerPC Macs..

A word of the wise, No pun intended.

PPCMM
:apple:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
It just gives people the idea about it. Arent there some very well known overclocking forums?It's obvious that your not getting any real help here.Either way I personally would never want to mess with my perfectly stable powerbook BUT if there was some HIGH PROFILE guaranteed way to do it that was PROVEN to be stable you most likely would have heard about it and done it by now.....I dont even know WHY in the world I am asking this but when things are overclocked (any machine) would the ghz change like in the (about this mac) or would it be known only by you and your personal test done to the equipment?

The change should show up under Windows, Mac OS X, Linux etc.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You already overclocked it, remember?

You had to reapply heatsink paste:
attachment.php

Less is more with thermal paste..yikes

ATIccelarator is for the GPU.
I am trying to overclock the CPU.
I said to overclock the GPU; this works 100% of the time, CPU overclocking is not known if possible.
Two completely different things.

Didn't you have a AMD Hackintosh to futz with..leave the PowerBooks and the Quad alone.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Ok...

Dude,

You aren't going to see much difference in speed and performance by overclocking your lappy from 1.67 to 1.83 or even 2 Ghz if it can support that high of a frequency.. I would just give it up.. Use an SSD drive to speed performance.. don't mess up a perfectly good laptop..

But, its your lappy.. so don't come crying to us to help you fix it. Its not worth it.. just like someone who has a Mac Pro w3680 and wishes to go from 3.33 ghz to 3.46 - Its just not worth the time and effort. But you do what u wish.

Would the location of the MSB_PLLs be in the 7447A datasheet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.