Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
BlackMamba14
macrumors member

MBA Redesign

Wanted to get an MBA but was wondering if there is going to be a redesign coming soon. Should I wait or will the design look the same. Thanks
BlackMamba14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2
B...
macrumors 68000

Probably no redesign; last one was in 2010. It will just be Haswell, maybe better quality screen, maybe better battery life, maybe better CPU, definitely better GPU. If any of those sound good, wait. Just do not put all your hopes in a Retina screen.
B... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Doesn't get a lot of attention but I would like liquid spill resistance. The competitors already have it it seems. Granted, that will keep some more old laptop functioning and no need to upgrade nor buy Apple Care+ but COMEON! That's what we all fear: Splash! and $1,000 down the toilet literally.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
itsOver9000
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Doesn't get a lot of attention but I would like liquid spill resistance. The competitors already have it it seems. Granted, that will keep some more old laptop functioning and no need to upgrade nor buy Apple Care+ but COMEON! That's what we all fear: Splash! and $1,000 down the toilet literally.
I've seen a couple MacBooks fried by some coffee spills.
Easy fix - don't bring liquids close to your expensive computer...
itsOver9000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:54 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

+1 to itsOver9000. Don't drink and drive your Mac. Also, give careful consideration to using a keyboard cover. At $7.50, I have one on each of my three Macs. Really, really cheap insurance.

Last edited by wolfpuppies3; Apr 1, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
wolfpuppies3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
I think the next MBA will just be Haswell. IMO, there will be no retina display as they already have the 13" rMBP.
stchman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
960design
macrumors 6502a

You could always send it to HZO: http://www.hzoinside.com/
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsOver9000 View Post

So your solution is to live like Monks.

HzO - interesting technology.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Trey M
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba14 View Post
Wanted to get an MBA but was wondering if there is going to be a redesign coming soon. Should I wait or will the design look the same. Thanks
The current gen Macbook Air is really just an extremely capable machine. It never slows me down, the battery life is great, and it just feels very refined compared to my rMBP because Apple has had a few years to perfect this design, and because of this, it really speeds along. If you are looking for a Retina display, go for the 13'' rMBP, but as others have said, I don't think there will be a major redesign in the next Airs. If I were you I'd just grab an Air now. Especially if the Haswell update only brings minor changes (which IMO it will), you really wouldn't be missing out on a whole lot. There's always going to be better/newer features, but this model doesn't leave me wanting whatsoever.
iPhone 5 | Black 32GB
Trey M is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:17 AM   #10
LiveinRiot
macrumors member

I believe that Apple will only do a redesign on Macbook Airs in 2014/2015. If they could make a Macbook Pro 13'' with Retina thinner than the current one, they would have done.

I believe these ultrabooks very high resolution or have a very high price to the Macbook Air, or will be too thick to be called Ultrabooks, together with a low battery performace (something like 3 ~ 5 hours).

Apple also is investing in technology that promises IGZO decrease the energy expenditure of the screens. Now, no doubt, at least in 2014 to have a Macbook Air with Retina, and it will come with a redesign to make the Macbook Air thinner and lighter, because Apple will never leave the Macbook Airs thicker or heavier than ever are. Let's count the Broadwell further improve the performace of energy along with a major advance graphic.
LiveinRiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:43 AM   #11
TC25
Banned

Quote:
No, use common sense.
TC25 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsOver9000 View Post
I've seen a couple MacBooks fried by some coffee spills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
+1 to itsOver9000. Don't drink and drive your Mac. Also, give careful consideration to using a keyboard cover. At $7.50, I have one on each of my three Macs. Really, really cheap insurance.
This is the best solution !
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba14 View Post
I don't think Apple is going to invest resources in redesigning the air unless it results in a revolutionary breakthrough. It works well and looks great, and I think Apple will hang on to that design for as long as they can until people eventually feel they are tired of the wedge design and sales figures drop enough to make Apple take notice.
Abazigal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:58 PM   #14
bp1000
macrumors 65816

If we get the update this year do you think it will be announced around July/Aug/Sep and released, based on history?

I've not heard of any events planned but i fancy changing my 2011 MBA this year.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 02:55 AM   #15
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a

What about this?
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...t-details.html
It seems an Hybrid...maybe an A7 IPAD plus a Broadwell MacBOOK Air could marry together?
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

The apologists that tell you not to live a normal life just because you have a poorly designed computer are the reason why Apple continue to be behind in a bunch of areas. Stop being fanboys, and start being consumers. The answer to the problem isn't stop drinking like a normal human being around a computer. The answer is to build a computer that can handle a small mishap. Others do it. Apple can too. So sick of fanboys and their idiotic logic.
CapnJackGig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #17
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
The apologists that tell you not to live a normal life just because you have a poorly designed computer are the reason why Apple continue to be behind in a bunch of areas. Stop being fanboys, and start being consumers. The answer to the problem isn't stop drinking like a normal human being around a computer. The answer is to build a computer that can handle a small mishap. Others do it. Apple can too. So sick of fanboys and their idiotic logic.
nothing to do with being a fanboy. my mrs has a samsung laptop, id also advise her not to chuck a pint of water over it.
LeeM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:39 PM   #18
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:

HzO - interesting technology.
No, his solution was not to bring liquids near your laptop. If that translates to living like Monks, you either don't know what a Monk is, don't now what a liquid is, or both.

Liquids and electrical components rarely intermingle in harmony. This has nothing to do with Apple, or Apple fanboys. This phenomenon was true before Apple existed, that much I can assure you.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Marv89
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryKayne View Post
What about this?
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...t-details.html
It seems an Hybrid...maybe an A7 IPAD plus a Broadwell MacBOOK Air could marry together?
Don't give anything on patents ! They get patents for anything, and the chance to make it to market from there are usually low, they just want to prevent others from doing it.
Marv89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:24 AM   #20
JHUFrank
macrumors 6502

I don't think there will be a re-design either. At best you will get a retina screen, at worst it will simply be a Haswell upgrade.
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:10 AM   #21
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
honestly, you shouldn't be using your laptop on the toilet anyway, that's just gross
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:06 AM   #22
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Please, enlighten us how others have built a laptop that 'can handle a small mishap'.

Last edited by TC25; Apr 10, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:33 AM   #23
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
yikes - is it just me or is the term "fanboy" more annoying than the group of people it sets out to define?

I feel like i've lived a "normal life" and that includes not spilling liquid on my electronics. when it inevitably happens, i'm not angry at anyone other than the person that does it - typically myself.

My current almost 5 year old MBP has been dropped, frozen, left in hot cars, dropped some more and had 2 major spills - one with water the other with whiskey.

So far i've had to replace the motherboard and that's it.
i'd say that's as good as any other computer out there. there have been some advancements in recent years in terms of liquid resistant design but it's still in the nacent stages of development and the efficacy is certainly up in the air.

brand loyalty is for suckers - but your post is a bit silly.
what areas is Apple behind - more importantly, what about any of these machines would be defined by you as "poorly designed?"

if you spill a drink on your computer then you only have yourself to blame if you damage that computer.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:45 PM   #24
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
honestly, you shouldn't be using your laptop on the toilet anyway, that's just gross
Agreed. Everyone knows that's what iPad's are for.
2IS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:14 PM   #25
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
Agreed. Everyone knows that's what iPad's are for.
haha, yup

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air