Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1
BlueSquidDoug
macrumors newbie

Connect iPad Mini to Feature Phone

I want to connect my iPad Mini to my feature phone (dumb phone) to use my iPad as a Bluetooth headset/interface.

If I can make and take calls and text with the iPad using my phone, I will be happy as a button.

HOW CAN I MAKE THIS DREAM COME TRUE???
Help me MacRumors! I'm just a boy with a dream...

I am willing to Jailbreak my iPad.
BlueSquidDoug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:21 AM   #2
hallux
macrumors 65816

I don't think the iPad is the major limiting factor here. If by "feature phone" you mean the free ones they hand out for people that don't want a smartphone, I highly doubt it's possible. The best you might be able to do is log in to your carrier's web site from the iPad to send a text message. The iPad won't support the "headset" end of the headset profile for Bluetooth, only the "phone" or "source" end so using the iPad as the mic/speaker for phone calls won't be possible.

If you had an iPhone you could register your phone number with Messages and then it would be usable across all your Apple devices for messaging.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:57 AM   #3
BlueSquidDoug
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
I don't think the iPad is the major limiting factor here. If by "feature phone" you mean the free ones they hand out for people that don't want a smartphone, I highly doubt it's possible.
Yes, that's what I mean by feature phone. It has Bluetooth support.

Quote:
The iPad won't support the "headset" end of the headset profile for Bluetooth, only the "phone" or "source" end so using the iPad as the mic/speaker for phone calls won't be possible.
Will a jailbreak make it POSSIBLE?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
hallux
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquidDoug View Post
Yes, that's what I mean by feature phone. It has Bluetooth support.

Will a jailbreak make it POSSIBLE?
I guess the question is.. WHY?

Comfort-wise, I'd MUCH rather hold the phone than the iPad. Sure, the iPad is an Apple product vs. the no-name feature phone (which could then be hidden), but then all your conversations are heard by EVERYONE as there's no earpiece on the iPad like there is on an iPhone, just the main speaker. Unless you're plugging in headphones, but why not just plug those into the phone and put it in your pocket?.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
BlueSquidDoug
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I guess the question is.. WHY?

Comfort-wise, I'd MUCH rather hold the phone than the iPad. Sure, the iPad is an Apple product vs. the no-name feature phone (which could then be hidden), but then all your conversations are heard by EVERYONE as there's no earpiece on the iPad like there is on an iPhone, just the main speaker. Unless you're plugging in headphones, but why not just plug those into the phone and put it in your pocket?.
Texting is 1000% faster on the iPad. A better interface.

And if you hold the iPad Mini upside down than the microphone and speaker are at the perfect place to have a phone conversation.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:58 PM   #6
BlueSquidDoug
macrumors newbie

Any ideas??

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help