Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1
LorridMaester
macrumors newbie

10.8 and steam games.

I've been considering upgrading from snow leopard to mountain lion for a while, but from the things people have been saying, have been hesitant to do so. However it seems more and more games are running on either 10.7 or 10.8, a lot of which I want to play. I'm not too worried about the games made specifically for the newer OSes or from the App store, but I am worried that some of my steam games won't work on the newer OSes.

Specifically Assassin's Creed 2 and brotherhood (which as it is are hard to get working and don't like running easily), the main valve games, shank 2, and the telltale games.

I really only use my macbook pro for gaming, the internet, word, and imovie, and the only one of these that will be affected by upgrading would be gaming, but I don't want a lot of games I payed good money for to stop working after I upgrade. Can anyone shed any light on whether or not my fears of 10.8 are justified or just hype by the technology inept masses filling the internet with misguided complaints?
LorridMaester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Those are all fine. It's only older pre-intel games which use rosetta that won't work anymore.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
arashb
Banned

All the main valve games that worked on Lion still work on Mountain Lion.
arashb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:47 AM   #4
LorridMaester
macrumors newbie

Perhaps I should have specified, I'm running a 10.6.8 macbook pro from the last quarter that snow leopard was the preloaded operating system, and am taking a leap up to mountain lion, If I were still using Lion and I hadn't made the switch to mountain lion by now, I would have done it today.
LorridMaester is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5
blasto2236
macrumors 6502

You were very clear in your original post, as was the person who responded. The only thing you lose from SL to Lion is the ability to play pre-Intel games via Rosetta, and none of the games you listed will be affected by that.

I can't speak for AC2, but I play HL2, both additional episodes, both Portal games, both L4D games, and Team Fortress 2 without any problems whatsoever.

If there's anything you did lose you could always install Windows and play those games via BootCamp.

Additionally, you're probably having problems with AC2 and Brotherhood BECAUSE you're on an old system. I can't imagine that Mountain Lion would even flinch booting either of those games.

Last edited by blasto2236; Mar 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Edited to add comment
blasto2236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Portal 2 requires a file to be deleted, otherwise it will crash.

Solution
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
I've had no issues with AC2 under 10.8. Haven't tried Brotherhood yet though.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
Portal 2 requires a file to be deleted, otherwise it will crash.

Solution
No longer necessary. Valve fixed that bug a while ago.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:50 AM   #9
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Well, I needed it only a couple of days ago after reinstalling the game.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, I needed it only a couple of days ago after reinstalling the game.
I've installed the game at least 4-5 times in the last couple months and have not needed to do anything except launch it. Are you restoring from a backup or downloading cleanly after installing the Steam client?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
cal6n
macrumors 68000

I hadn't played for a long while and had also restored my system from Time Machine while migrating to a new Mac Pro.

I got hit by the unexpected quits.

I tried deleting the local content; reinstalling from the DVD-ROM and then updating via the steam client. Still no joy.

Deleting the file mentioned in that link sorted it out for me.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:06 PM   #12
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I hadn't played for a long while and had also restored my system from Time Machine while migrating to a new Mac Pro.

I got hit by the unexpected quits.

I tried deleting the local content; reinstalling from the DVD-ROM and then updating via the steam client. Still no joy.

Deleting the file mentioned in that link sorted it out for me.
Next time maybe do a clean install from scratch. Download the Steam installer separately, let it update on its own, then download the game without using optical media. Steam and its related games have been stagnant on OS X, as I believe most of the folks who worked on the Mac side have left Valve. There are still bugs in the client, and the games themselves don't run nearly as well as they do on the Windows side.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:24 PM   #13
cal6n
macrumors 68000

I doubt there'll be a next time. It's all good...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games