Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miqs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Bedfordshire, UK
I have Little Snitch v2.5.2 and had it for a couple of years now working ok. I now find however that when I have LS active I cannot connect to my server with Safari but can with Google Chrome. Why is this? Can anyone tell me how to get Safari back and set it up so that I can only prevent the couple of dubious apps from calling home but allow everything else to function normally. I thought I had set the prefs up ok but something is wrong!

xxx.jpg

Miqs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Bedfordshire, UK
Remove the Safari Rules, then you will get asked again next time and allow all.

No it didn't work as you say. I deleted all the Safari rules and with LS active I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but couldn't and wasn't asked for any permission. I now see that if I try with Chrome also I cannot connect either. Both say there is a "server problem". Then when I disconnect from LS I then try to open Safari and Chrome it is ok. Obviously LS is stopping any internet connection direct, but I can link to the internet via my email messages. So how do I get LS to ask me for permission to connect Safari and Chrome directly? There must be a way. Failing that I guess a re installation of little Snitch and go through all the permissions again. Hopefully not! :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No it didn't work as you say. I deleted all the Safari rules and with LS active I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but couldn't and wasn't asked for any permission. I now see that if I try with Chrome also I cannot connect either. Both say there is a "server problem". Then when I disconnect from LS I then try to open Safari and Chrome it is ok. Obviously LS is stopping any internet connection direct, but I can link to the internet via my email messages. So how do I get LS to ask me for permission to connect Safari and Chrome directly? There must be a way. Failing that I guess a re installation of little Snitch and go through all the permissions again. Hopefully not! :(

Bold is disable?

You can manually add a rule to allow all traffic in Safari or any other App, if this does not work some other process is blocked.

Last edited:

Miqs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Bedfordshire, UK
Thanks. I deleted the "deny connections" in "all applications" and then manually put in rules for Safari and Chrome which seems to have worked and negative rules for the apps that I am suspicious of. Thanks again.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks. I deleted the "deny connections" in "all applications" and then manually put in rules for Safari and Chrome which seems to have worked and negative rules for the apps that I am suspicious of. Thanks again.

I like Little Snitch but it can give headaches once in a while.

Good it's solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.