Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:23 AM   #1
weeediee
macrumors newbie

Can't copy to 4GB Transcend Flash Drive

Hi, I bought a flash drive to copy files from my Macbook Air - 4GB Transcend USB 2.0 - and I can't copy anything to it at all. It comes up with Error Code -8062. It's formatted to MS-DOS(FAT) and I am using OS X Mountain Lion.
Is the drive corrupted or something?
weeediee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
B...
macrumors 68000

Use Disk Utility to format it in another format for Macs.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
weeediee
macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I've tried reformatting it to every other option besides MS-DOS (FAT), and nothing works!
I know the flash drive works as I've just tried it with an old PC and could copy files to it easily, so it seems to be a problem with the mac. What else can I try other than reformatting? Do I perhaps have some permission issue with writing to an external drive? I can't seem to see any obvious problems...
weeediee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
chadamorrill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeediee View Post
Thanks, but I've tried reformatting it to every other option besides MS-DOS (FAT), and nothing works!
I know the flash drive works as I've just tried it with an old PC and could copy files to it easily, so it seems to be a problem with the mac. What else can I try other than reformatting? Do I perhaps have some permission issue with writing to an external drive? I can't seem to see any obvious problems...
Silly question... are you formatting at the top level? Or just the partition itself? When you format it to Mac, does it then not work on the PC? If it still works on the PC after formatting to MacOS (ext/jour), disk utility may not be working correctly.

If you have a PC available, there's a series of dos formatting commands you can try. Let me know if you want them.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air