Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via Skype™ to ShiggyMiyamoto
Thinking of Going Back to an All Apple Ecosystem

Hello all,
Since I'll be purchasing a refurbished Retina MacBook Pro 15" base model in the coming weeks, I've been playing with the idea of also getting an iPhone 5 (yes I know the 5S or w/e it'll be called is set to release in August or so) since I've not had an iPhone since the first one and I have an upgrade available starting from April 1st. iOS to me has gotten quite stale, but if I were to jailbreak (I hope such talk is 'legal' in this forum) and the only reason I would jailbreak would be to get a WiFi tether app for hot-spotting, do you think I'd be happy? I'm really curious to see what Jonny Ive does with iOS 7 as well as what the "iPhone 5S" brings to the table.

Carrier shouldn't matter, but I'm on Sprint.

Thanks in advance,
ShiggyMiyamoto
MacBook "Santa Rosa" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (deceased)
ShiggyMiyamoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

why did u leave in the first place? well regardless, welcome back.
Appl3FTW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:42 AM   #3
boshii
macrumors 68040

Carriers are cracking down on illegal tethering so you won't need to jailbreak.
boshii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:43 AM   #4
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via Skype™ to ShiggyMiyamoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appl3FTW View Post
why did u leave in the first place? well regardless, welcome back.
I left because as I said iOS was getting stale for me, and my at-the-time AT&T contract was ending (I hated their limited data plans) and I went to Sprint first with the ill-fated Palm Pre, then to a Samsung Epic 4G, and finally to an HTC Evo 3D. I recently reactivated my Epic 4G because of its support for custom Android ROM CyanogenMod 10.1. It runs slow, but it runs.

Anyway, the iPhone 5's hardware is pretty darn good, and I'd be willing to come back to try it out, but I'm still deciding. I'll be in NYC in a few weeks and it'd be so cool to use my upgrade at the 5th Ave Apple Store.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
I wouldn't be doing it extensively.....
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

well ios is going stale just like android is going stale... but no, teleporter android is amazing with their gimmicks. LOL
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
well ios is going stale just like android is going stale... but no, teleporter android is amazing with their gimmicks. LOL
Teleporter Android? Eh?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:48 AM   #7
jadot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiggyMiyamoto View Post
Thinking of Going Back to an All Apple Ecosystem
Bravo. Well done you.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:49 AM   #8
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadot View Post
Bravo. Well done you.
Again, I've not committed to anything yet.
ShiggyMiyamoto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Teleporter Android? Eh?
yup Samsung galaxy andromeda wolfpack SZV100 is so advanced it automatically knows where you're going and it teleports you to your destination. forget octacore, centicore anyone?
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:51 AM   #10
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
yup Samsung galaxy andromeda wolfpack SZV100 is so advanced it automatically knows where you're going and it teleports you to your destination. forget octacore, centicore anyone?
Okay then....
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Hello all,
Since I'll be purchasing a refurbished Retina MacBook Pro 15" base model in the coming weeks, I've been playing with the idea of also getting an iPhone 5 (yes I know the 5S or w/e it'll be called is set to release in August or so) since I've not had an iPhone since the first one and I have an upgrade available starting from April 1st. iOS to me has gotten quite stale, but if I were to jailbreak (I hope such talk is 'legal' in this forum) and the only reason I would jailbreak would be to get a WiFi tether app for hot-spotting, do you think I'd be happy? I'm really curious to see what Jonny Ive does with iOS 7 as well as what the "iPhone 5S" brings to the table.

Carrier shouldn't matter, but I'm on Sprint.

Thanks in advance,
ShiggyMiyamoto
If you get an i5 now you might be lucky and it'll be on iOS 6.1.2. But probably not. 6.1.3 would probably be what you get. And 6.1.3 breaks the current jailbreak. So, if that happens or you get a 5S when they come out it will probably be iOS7. You'll have to wait for the next jailbreak. Considering that the last jailbreak took quite a while, you may be waiting for a long time before you can jailbreak.

If jail breaking your iPhone is the only reason you'd be using a 5 or 5S then your only reason to get a new iPhone has just been taken away.
eyoungren is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
Verizon isn't.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Verizon isn't.
And as far as I know Sprint isn't either.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
If you get an i5 now you might be lucky and it'll be on iOS 6.1.2. But probably not. 6.1.3 would probably be what you get. And 6.1.3 breaks the current jailbreak. So, if that happens or you get a 5S when they come out it will probably be iOS7. You'll have to wait for the next jailbreak. Considering that the last jailbreak took quite a while, you may be waiting for a long time before you can jailbreak.

If jail breaking your iPhone is the only reason you'd be using a 5 or 5S then your only reason to get a new iPhone has just been taken away.
While that's all true, my reasons for possibly wanting an iPhone 5 / all Apple ecosystem again aren't totally tied to jailbreaking and unofficially tethering, though that's part of it. Lately Android has been stale, as someone else here said, and I might be willing to give iOS another shot, since like I said, I'm curious to see how iOS 7 mixes things up. Also, if I end up with a device with iOS 6.1.3 then I can still WiFi and/or Bluetooth tether using someting like PDANet+ which doesn't require the phone to be jailbroken. I believe I have a license for it too.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:41 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Get whatever works for you OP.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
boshii
macrumors 68040

Quote:
And as far as I know Sprint isn't either.
Google it.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:20 PM   #16
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Do what you want, but I personally don't understand this "ios/android/OS of your choice is getting stale" argument. What matters is what I can do with it and can it run apps that do what I want. But YMMV.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:49 AM   #17
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post

Yeah I bet I would get it with 6.1.3.. If that were to happen, would I be able to get a 6.1.2 .ipk and manually 'update' from 6.1.3 (by pressing option when hitting restore in iTunes)? Is a jailbreak required for that to work? I've been out of iOS-land for so long... Will the iPhone ever get a quad-core processor? That's another reason why I'm not decided yet. All the competing Android phones that I'm looking at are quad-core, where as the iPhone is only dual-core still. My dad has an iPhone 4S and it's dual-core, and it doesn't seem slow at all, it being an A5 chip and all. Is the A6 chip that much faster than the A5?

I can upgrade as of today, and maybe I'll get my possible iPhone when I get paid this week, and not in NYC at the iconic 5th Ave Apple store, but I'll see.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah I bet I would get it with 6.1.3.. If that were to happen, would I be able to get a 6.1.2 .ipk and manually 'update' from 6.1.3 (by pressing option when hitting restore in iTunes)? Is a jailbreak required for that to work? I've been out of iOS-land for so long... Will the iPhone ever get a quad-core processor? That's another reason why I'm not decided yet. All the competing Android phones that I'm looking at are quad-core, where as the iPhone is only dual-core still. My dad has an iPhone 4S and it's dual-core, and it doesn't seem slow at all, it being an A5 chip and all. Is the A6 chip that much faster than the A5?

I can upgrade as of today, and maybe I'll get my possible iPhone when I get paid this week, and not in NYC at the iconic 5th Ave Apple store, but I'll see.

Thanks in advance.
If jailbreaking is important to you, I'd get the iPhone 5 sooner rather than later and hope it's got 6.1.2 installed on it. Right now, on the 5, it's impossible to go to 6.1.2 from any other iOS you're on.

As far as quad-core is concerned, I don't get it. Most apps are not optimized to utilize 4 cores so it's basically useless. I went from a Galaxy Nexus to an iPhone 5, and the 5 blows it away in terms of speed and smoothness. I notice no lag whatsoever in apps or websites.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:06 AM   #19
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If jailbreaking is important to you, I'd get the iPhone 5 sooner rather than later and hope it's got 6.1.2 installed on it. Right now, on the 5, it's impossible to go to 6.1.2 from any other iOS you're on.

As far as quad-core is concerned, I don't get it. Most apps are not optimized to utilize 4 cores so it's basically useless. I went from a Galaxy Nexus to an iPhone 5, and the 5 blows it away in terms of speed and smoothness. I notice no lag whatsoever in apps or websites.
Okay. Good points, but what would happen if you were to try and execute said method? Would it brick the phone or would it simply not do anything and fail?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Okay. Good points, but what would happen if you were to try and execute said method? Would it brick the phone or would it simply not do anything and fail?
If you try to install a 6.1.2 ipw, it will give you an error code and quit the install. There have been a few reports around here about sporadic problems with the phone going into a boot loop if you try it, although I don't think that's too common. If it does, you can always go into DFU mode and restore, which won't change anything if you're already on 6.1.3.

But yeah, on the iPhone 5, going to 6.1.2 from anything lower or higher is impossible. The reason is because during the install of any ipw, iTunes will briefly connect to Apple servers to get it signed before finalizing the install. Since Apple is no longer signing 6.1.2, it will get kicked back to you with an error.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:11 AM   #21
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you try to install a 6.1.2 ipw, it will give you an error code and quit the install. There have been a few reports around here about sporadic problems with the phone going into a boot loop if you try it, although I don't think that's too common. If it does, you can always go into DFU mode and restore, which won't change anything if you're already on 6.1.3.

But yeah, on the iPhone 5, going to 6.1.2 from anything lower or higher is impossible. The reason is because during the install of any ipw, iTunes will briefly connect to Apple servers to get it signed before finalizing the install. Since Apple is no longer signing 6.1.2, it will get kicked back to you with an error.
Interesting... What if you disable your internet connection before attempting? Would it fail with a "no internet" error?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Interesting... What if you disable your internet connection before attempting? Would it fail with a "no internet" error?
Yes. It cannot load without getting signed by Apple.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:14 AM   #23
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Oh and if I happen to get a device with 6.1.3 I would still be able to satisfy my tethering "requirement" since PDANet+ works without such things as JBs required.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Yes. It cannot load without getting signed by Apple.
Interesting ^2. Thanks for the responses guys. This is really getting me thinking on my decision making. I'll let you know either way.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I wouldn't come back if you are expecting iOS7 to be radically different than previous versions. At best it will have a few minor tweaks (marketed as MAJOR features I'm sure though) and perhaps another useless app or two that you can't delete.

The "ecosystem" is certainly something to take into account. Devices don't stand alone anymore and many of their best features rely on you having them synced over one platform. It's becoming more of a pain to have say three Apple devices and one Android smartphone for example.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:37 AM   #25
ShiggyMiyamoto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I wouldn't come back if you are expecting iOS7 to be radically different than previous versions. At best it will have a few minor tweaks (marketed as MAJOR features I'm sure though) and perhaps another useless app or two that you can't delete.

The "ecosystem" is certainly something to take into account. Devices don't stand alone anymore and many of their best features rely on you having them synced over one platform. It's becoming more of a pain to have say three Apple devices and one Android smartphone for example.
Oh I'm totally not expecting drastic changes for iOS 7. I'm merely curious to see what they'll do with it, and I want a device that's more reliable than my current devices. I'll decide in the next few days.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone