Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you put your Mac to sleep or shut it down?

• Put to sleep.

Votes: 168 72.7%
  • Shut down.

Votes: 63 27.3%

• Total voters

stevefo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Explain why you shut it down or put it to sleep.

I decided to put mine to sleep instead of shutting down. I did some investigating on google and have not found any negative effects to the longevity of any Mac computer by putting it to sleep vs. shutting down. I'm just going to reboot it once a week.

I called AppleCare Support and they suggested that it's better to put it to sleep vs. shutting it down every night. Re-boot it once a week.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Although i'm a MBP owner now i've owned iMacs. I've always slept my computers. Computers are designed to be on 24/7 anyway so you're not really wearing anything down long term except maybe fans and the HDD which spin up and down frequently. But even then it'll take a long time to wear them down.

Computers are also much more power efficient nowadays that leaving them on/to sleep has little detrimental effect.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Always sleep. Only reboot when I have to (usually part of a software update).

There are lots of threads on this topic already. Do a search.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are dozens of "sleep or shutdown" threads where you'll find many Mac users run months at a time without shutting down. Either is perfectly fine. One thing to consider is that there are maintenance scripts that run on a daily, weekly and monthly schedule. If your Mac is in sleep mode at the scheduled time, the scripts will run when your Mac is awake. If your Mac is shut down, the scripts won't run until the next scheduled time. If your Mac is always shut down at those times, the scripts will never run.

Poll: Do you turn you MBP off?
Should I sleep or shut down when I'm away?
If you guys always sleep and never shut down...
MacBook Pro: Sleep or Shut Down?
Is it 'bad' to never shut an iMac down, but instead sleep it?
Do you shut down or sleep your MBA?

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Shut down.

I don't want things to build up in the RAM, and it'll save more electricity than putting it to sleep.

Also, while sleeping probably doesn't cause much heat, I like to give it a better chance at cooling down more.

I don't often shut it down when leaving the house for things. I turn it on in the morning, put it to sleep when going out for the day, come back and turn it off when I go to bed.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I shutdown my 2006 iMac every day, and booted it up every morning, pretty much, for six years. Never had any issues with it.

Why? I pay the bills. iMac plus second monitor, plus peripherals, even on sleep/standby: it adds up. I reset the schedule of the periodic tasks so that they would be performed when the machine was on.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I used to shut it down every night when I had my old iMac but now that I have a new 2012 27" inch I find myself just putting it to sleep every night. It's so awesome to turn it on in the morning and have it back up and running in less than a few seconds, its awesome :)

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It only takes 12 seconds to boot up but I still put her to sleep.

Why? Seriously, I don't know. I remember reading it here years ago, something about less stress on the components?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Last edited:

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
Never have put any of my machines to sleep or off overnight since OS X 10.2. Even my MacBooks stay on all night. I do have the displays sleep after several minutes and I have a hot corner to sleep the display on demand. The small amount of power they use doesn't affect my electric bill at all compared to the hot tub and pool, especially since I changed my outdoor lighting (on all night) to LED.

I should say that given only the two choices I would choose sleep, unless we are planning on running the generator due to a power outage.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I guess it depends. Me who has fusion drive on iMac and ssd on macbook air i always turn them off if i don't use them for at least 8 hours. If i was having a 5400HDD or 7200 i guess i put them to sleep

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I shut down because I'm in a highly networked environment and sleeping tends to disconnect drives and sometimes messes up USB connected drives

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Neither. But in the past, I used to put my iMac to sleep. The reason I don't is because when I'm in other rooms in the house using my MBP, my iMac acts as a server and I found that waking it from sleep remotely is not something that works reliably. I do have the screen turn off and the HD spin down though.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I sleep mine but thanks to power outs my uptime sucks. There's like one at least twice a month.

I also have display sleep on like 10 mins but most of the time i use computer sleep just to give the fans a rest. I set my computer sleep to never because i like to control that manually as it can screw up if your exporting or uploading to YouTube.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I shut down and unplug when I'm working from my office in town, because my home office is on a farm that has a lot of granite and attracts lightning. The sort of lightning strikes that split enormous trees down the middle. a feeble little surge protector can't stop that. Once I left my fax machine plugged in (to a very expensive surge protector) during one of these ferocious storms as I was waiting for an important fax ... Direct hit, this blue flame from the plugboard on the floor reached the ceiling, totally killed the board and the machine.

My oldest machines in sig have been turned on and off daily, both still work perfectly, have never been repaired.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I shutdown my 2006 iMac every day, and booted it up every morning, pretty much, for six years. Never had any issues with it.

Why? I pay the bills. iMac plus second monitor, plus peripherals, even on sleep/standby: it adds up. I reset the schedule of the periodic tasks so that they would be performed when the machine was on.

Late 2012 iMac, using Kill A Watt:

Normal idle with no open applications: 85 watts
Heaven app. at Ultra performance settings: 170 watts
iMac with display off: 40 watts
iMac in sleep mode: 2 watts

When booting the iMac from off, the wattage zooms to ~120-130 watts. It takes a few minutes for it to settle down to the 85 watt range.

Two watts is about the same as a tiny nightlight. YMMV depending on your machine and startup applications, etc. But I suspect it is cheaper to put the iMac to sleep rather than turning it off, unless you plan on not rebooting for a few days.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I've been leaving mine on all the time recently.

I use Hot Corners to sleep the display, otherwise it is set to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. The hard disks are set to never spin down (a good way to avoid unnecessary spin ups and spin downs).

According to my UPS, the iMac consumes 5 to 7 watts when the display is off and it is idle. Less than most light bulbs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.