Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:05 AM   #1
kristenanne77
macrumors member

Can't download application from store to disc

I bought Logic Pro 9 and Mainstage from store and downloaded to one mac.
When i first bought them I thought they would put a dmg file of the applications on my computer so I could put on my other macs. SURPRISE! It didn't happen. I spent a few hours of wasted time searching for how to back up these purchases to disk.

Then I tried connecting to the store on one of my other macs and after going through the "authorize this computer" game and the "password not recognized game" and the "reset your password" game and the "answer your secret questions game" (huge time soak here), I was able to access the store to look at my purchases. I think its ridiculous you have to reset your itunes store password everytime you go to another computer.

Found instructions for backing up applications I bought at the store to disk.
Go to Itunes store and sign in (after the time consuming stuff I had to do mentioned above). Okay, it shows the stuff I bought.
Then I want to backup to disk
In Itunes:
File
Back up to disk
Back up only Itunes store purchases

Then I get the message:
"No new Itunes Store purchases to back up"
"No new items have been purchased or changed since last backup"

Can anyone shed some light on this? I really use 3 different macs and it is a pain not to be able share an app between computers (I am supposed to be able to share an app I bought from the store on 5 computers)

I want to download the application to disk so I don't have to play this "download from store" game ... which obviously doesn't work anyway.

HELP!

Thanks
K
kristenanne77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
maflynn

Your purchase of apps is not through iTunes, as its OSX apps. Also not having a DMG is how the MAS operates - there's no way around this.

You are authorized to download and install the app on 3 (or is it 5 I forget) different computers. Just sign in to the Mac App Store and redownload.

I'm not sure why you had so much trouble with authorizing your other computer, its really not that difficult. I did it in under a minute.

If you're having password issues, you can use 1Password to remember your passwords so you don't have to go through the problem of resetting it if you forget.

I personally like how the MAS works, as its simple and the app is there for my usage.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3
kristenanne77
macrumors member

No it was through itunes store. actually they may be the same store!!!.

I went back (had to reset my password again) to the mac store. No purchases were listed within last 90 days. Also the same new password worked with the itunes store. Still nothing showing up on my recent purchases. Yesterday i was at least able to see the purchases...now they are gone. I went to the edit account window just to see if my correct name and address etc was in there and it was.. so at leasst i know that I am still myself! So thats a relief. I have email receipts of the purchases, what do you think I should do now? (I am going to stop for awhile because I have to visit the real world before I go out f my mind)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
hallux
macrumors 6502a

Are you POSITIVE you're using the same AppleID on both Macs? I have a Mac for work and one for personal use, using the same ID on both and can see all apps "purchased" (some were free) on both Macs.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:41 PM   #5
kristenanne77
macrumors member

As far as passwords go...At this point I don't know anymore.
There is one apple id i use to give "my permission" whenever I download and install an app on the computer and then there is the apple id and password for the mac/itunes store. It is very confusing.

Its wierd like there is some disconnect between the names and passwords I am using, and what purchased items I see in the store (right now I don't see anything. yesterday I saw logic and mainstage)

Is there a way to use the same ids and passwords on all the computers? ..that might make things easier.

I may sound a bit angry from frustration, but I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

K
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
hallux
macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't matter one bit what ID and password are used to authenticate to the computer itself. The only place the ID MUST MATCH is when signing in to the Mac App Store.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

It's not hard. I have one account for all of my computers. It is very easy to sign in and download any application you paid for from the MAS on as many computers as you would like. When it first came out it was alleged it was only five computers (this is only a iTunes problem), but I can attest it is more computers then that. You must not be signed into the correct account for the MAS. Signout on the other computers and make sure you are signing in to the same account that you made your purchase. The only one I have been able to get dmg files from are Lion and Mountain Lion. I never have to reset paaswords or reauthorize computers for purchases.
Dobbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store