Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
PA
My friend is having this issue on his iMac running 10.7.5.
YouTube videos hang up or won't play in Safari.

What we've done (previous fixes on other threads)
*flash is up to date
*removed all website data
*checked HTML5 trial -not enrolled
*Looked for nc-pcc-dir-shockwave plug in - not there
*changed Safari to 32 bit mode
*Installed clicktoflash extension - no change

Maybe we didn't quit/relaunch safari after performing a step. I honestly can't remember. But the computer has been shut down and powered on since we tried everything with no change.

We tried Chrome which had the same issue. He didn't want to try Firefox but maybe I can change his mind.

Everything did work correctly in a brand new user.

Thoughts on next steps? I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
PA
What issue, you don't say.:eek:

If the "issue" is not there in a new User you know you have to find the solution in the ~/Home/Library Folder

Sorry, I had originally posted this in a previous thread. I edited my original post >YouTube videos quit playing or won't play altogether in Safari.

My friend is on vacation, so troubleshooting will have to continue when he gets back.

Again, I appreciate any ideas to fix this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry, I had originally posted this in a previous thread. I edited my original post >YouTube videos quit playing or won't play altogether in Safari.

My friend is on vacation, so troubleshooting will have to continue when he gets back.

Again, I appreciate any ideas to fix this.

Thanks.

If I had access to your computer I probably would fix this within an hour, the problem is in your User Account so it can be solved.
I had something similar a while ago and I fixed it so you should be able too.

The problem is you need to have another Admin account or root user enabled, then you could rename folders inside your Library one by one until it works, you then know in which folder the problem resides.
But, you have to be extremely careful, for instance the /Users/yourname/Library/keychains can't be renamed, if you do it could prevent logging into the user account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.