Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Unlikely Rumor Claims June 20 Media Event to Introduce iPhone 5S

Mac Otakara reports that the long-running Japanese magazine MacFan has claimed that Apple will be holding a special media event on June 20 to introduce the iPhone 5S. According to the report, the iPhone 5S will actually launch in July with the rumored lower-cost iPhone following in August.

Various analysts and other sources have been indicating that the iPhone 5S could launch as soon as June or July, but MacFan's specific claim of a June 20 media event seems to defy common sense on several levels.

iPhone 5 media event line (Josh Lowensohn/CNET)
First, while Apple has not yet announced dates for its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, a tentative long-range schedule that leaked several years ago and continued gap in the Moscone Center's public schedule have suggested that the company is likely to hold the conference the week of June 10-14.

Apple could certainly choose to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC as it did for several years before it shifted iPhone launches to later in the year for 2011 and 2012, although the company has shown that it is willing to hold WWDC without a major hardware launch and instead focus on iOS and OS X for its developer community.

Still, even if Apple chooses not to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC, it seems extremely unlikely that the company would expect the media to return for a separate media event just a week later to show off the iPhone 5S. Even when it is running a tight schedule to launch significant numbers of new products, Apple schedules significant gaps between its announcements in order to allow each one to have its full share of publicity.

Second, Apple almost universally holds its media events on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, with the theory being that Mondays are poor days for members of the media who may need to travel to the event location the day before and that Thursdays and Fridays don't leave enough time for the full publicity impact before the news cycle is interrupted by the weekend. The one recent exception to Apple's scheduling trend was its education-focused media event on Thursday, January 19, 2012, but that event was unusual in several respects, including its location in New York City and a strict focus on content such as iBooks Textbooks and iTunes U rather than any new hardware.

As a result, we believe that June 20 is a very unlikely date for an iPhone media event, with Apple being much more likely to either introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC itself during a Monday keynote (regardless of what week the conference is held) or at a Tuesday or Wednesday media event at least several weeks removed from WWDC.

Article Link: Unlikely Rumor Claims June 20 Media Event to Introduce iPhone 5S
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

i dont expect any significant changes
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

When you put it like that, it sure does sound unlikely!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
applesith
macrumors 68000

A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5
bushido
macrumors 601

hasnt the iOS beta usually come out in march? this gives me hope that itll actually see some changes this time around and takes a bit longer

edit: nvm it was june last year?
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Radio
In Time-Out

Omg omg I can't wait!

I wonder what the iPhone 5S will be like?!

Best phone ever I'm sure !!

Weeeee!
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
d0mth0ma5
macrumors member

If they debut/preview iOS 7 in April then maybe.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:53 AM   #8
AppleMactablet
macrumors regular

Only two things I care about: Retina iPad mini and iOS7 and...a bit for Mac 10.9
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
billystlyes
macrumors 6502

Holy long story for nothing Batman...
billystlyes is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Hope iOS 7 is released. Needs to be big.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:17 AM   #12
newyorksole
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
i dont expect any significant changes
12MP, A7, Fingerprint-Senor, iOS 7.

Nothing more.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post

Nothing more.
h.265
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #14
sushant08
macrumors newbie

I have heard that they are holding an event called "original Passion,new ideas" on june 29th.Personally doesn't sound legitmate but nyways here is the link.
http://gizmorati.com/2013/03/iphone-...ion-new-ideas/
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Thedeathbear
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post

Nothing more.
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.
Thedeathbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

if the iphone 5S launch in june. we have to get iOS 7 preview this march or early april.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM   #17
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.
This is all you need to know. No need to guess.

iMore has already confirmed a while back with it's inside source that August is the target. I'd expect iOS 7 to be unveiled at a June event. But if they're making predictions, the key is iOS 7.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Carlanga
macrumors 601

haven't see any new parts for the 5S except the ones of the home button, I too believe the 5S will be announced on WWDC w/ the new iOS. The S versions always bring big software changes more so than hardware changes that impact the look, always internal specs improvement that are very welcome. So if the model is very similar to the 5 in appearance then I can see that there would be no need to have a special event just for the 5S, hell you could throw the ipad mini w/ retina in there too.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post

No, it'll just be a faster processor and all the developer sessions will focus on how to make apps less efficient so that they can properly use the new processor to make a firestarting app.

I'll call mine "Flint". Or maybe "Battery + Steel Wool".
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
chakdey
macrumors member

I think you guys could have skipped posting this news story on here. It would have been worse if it was on the front page.

Rumors are Rumors and its MacRumors.com
chakdey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedeathbear View Post
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.
Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

iOS 7 and iPhone 5S increased EFFICIENCY by 75%!!1

You'll see it on a slide... sigh
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Omg omg I can't wait!

I wonder what the iPhone 5S will be like?!

Best phone ever I'm sure !!

Weeeee!
The best iphone yet !
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #23
irDigital0l

slow news day....

Wait its been that way for Apple for like 5 months now...

Nothing but a load of rumors, no march event, etc.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:33 PM   #24
macduke
macrumors 68030

Apple has never launched an iPhone without a new OS so first iOS 7 has to be announced and go into beta. If there is hardly any beta period, then don't expect iOS 7 to be much of a change—which would be disappointing.

History of iOS releases:

Version / Announcement / Release / Days Between

2.0 / 3-6-08 / 7-11-08 / 127
3.0 / 3-17-09 / 7-17-09 / 122
4.0 / 4-8-10 / 6-21-10 / 74
5.0 / 6-6-11 / 10-12-11 / 128
6.0 / 6-11-12 / 9/19/12 / 100

The average between releases is 110 days.

If iOS 7 is demoed on 6-10-13, then expect iPhone 5S to be released around either September 24 or 25th, or October 1st or 2nd. If I were a betting man, I'd say iOS 7 is going to have some fairly significant changes—so expect a release in October.

If Apple is going to announce the iPhone 5S at WWDC on June 10th, then expect an iOS 7 event around February 19. Whoops! Well lets use the shortest ever date on the table: 74 days. That means the event should have been held by...yesterday. Crap. I suppose it would be awesome if Apple poured some of their billions into iOS 7 to rewrite it from the ground up with super stability and tons of testing, but what are the odds of that happening? Although considering how iOS 6 wasn't a huge upgrade, there could be teams who have been working on it for a couple years now making sure it's rock solid. Hmmm. The only other way this could work for a June release is for the WWDC event to be held later in June and the event invitations to go out next week or something.

I should be an analyst. Look guys! I used numbers and wild speculation!!
macduke is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
I suppose it would be awesome if Apple poured some of their billions into iOS 7 to rewrite it from the ground up with super stability and tons of testing.
Too bad that money itself can't write a code....
Hexiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion