Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVWP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
This is the oddest thing I've ever seen! My 2009 macbook pro battery wasn't charging back in January. So, I bought a new one and replaced it and left the old one on my desk in the box of the new one. I'm tidying up and picked up the box and found this! The battery is all warped and expanded. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?? Should I bother contacting Apple?

Attachments

• Photo on 3-29-13 at 10.34 AM.jpg
    Photo on 3-29-13 at 10.34 AM.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 370

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is the oddest thing I've ever seen! My 2009 macbook pro battery wasn't charging back in January. So, I bought a new one and replaced it and left the old one on my desk in the box of the new one. I'm tidying up and picked up the box and found this! The battery is all warped and expanded. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?? Should I bother contacting Apple?
Yes, it has happened many times that batteries, especially near the end of their life, will swell, even enough to damage the case.

Swollen Battery?
Swollen batteries not covered...
Swollen Battery causing trackpad clicking problem on trackpad
Macbook Alu's swollen battery, still in Applecare, that Apple won't replace
Out of warranty swollen battery
Swollen Battery
Apple Refuses to Replace Swollen Battery
Swollen battery removal.
Swollen Battery, make a stink?
Swollen Battery
Swollen and bent out battery in MacBook Pro

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

remzibi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Middle Europe
I know the difference, without having to read Wikipedia. I didn't say there wasn't a difference between lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries. I corrected your misstatement that lithium-ion polymer batteries are not used in MBPs.

Ok , So I am sorry for that misstatement, English is not my native.
However in MBP are used li-ion , and I never inside there found any li-pol , so this misstatement is based on my personal experience only .

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok , So I am sorry for that misstatement, English is not my native.
However in MBP are used li-ion , and I never inside there found any li-pol , so this misstatement is based on my personal experience only .
All batteries that Apple uses in its notebooks, iPhones, iPads and iPods are lithium-ion polymer batteries. That includes the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.