Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
jboyd710
macrumors member

I need some help choosing - apple beginner!

Hi guys and gals,

I really just need some help deciding what mac to make as my first purchase. Things I would like to do would be mainly daily tasks: internet, word processing, itunes, but also it will be for music production(Pro Tools) mainly. I would consider light video editing, but nothing crazy and a tad of photo shop. I talked myself into the mac mini, i7 2.6 quad core, but now having second thoughts. I really thing a laptop would be super nice to take around and as of right now the Mac Pro is out of the question, until it gets a nice upgrade. So please guys help we out with some tips/ advice! Thank you.
jboyd710 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2
MaxinMusicCity
macrumors member

Mac Mini Purchase Experience

Just recently purchased a mac mini w /2.3ghz quad chip and have been running it barefoot with stock 4gb of memmory. It's blowing the doors off my old 2009 model as expected.

Running Parallels w/ Chrome, Ubuntu Linux, Android, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Yes, I'd recommend at least 8gb of memmory standard. I'm going to find out what 16gb will do when it comes in, although it probably won't be that big of an improvement.

Can't advise on the 2.6ghz chip, but the quad 2.3 seems to be just fine
MaxinMusicCity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

"I talked myself into the mac mini, i7 2.6 quad core, but now having second thoughts. I really thing a laptop would be super nice to take around"

Will a laptop give you enough "screen real estate" to work with ProTools? DAW apps work best with a big display for the scrolling horizontal timeline.

A well-equipped Mini with a 24" or 27" external display would probably hit the spot.

27" would be "room for everything".

If you like this setup, then you can go shopping for a MacBook Air to carry around!
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
jboyd710
macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. I have a flat screen, 26 inch tv I was going to use.
jboyd710 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd710 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I have a flat screen, 26 inch tv I was going to use.
The TV may or may not be that great of a choice for photo editing and stuff.

What is your budget?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
brendu
macrumors 68000

In my experience a TV doesn't make for a great computer monitor. Especially text in web browsers and Word becomes difficult to look at and read. If you have it within your budget to get a monitor, even a cheap 20-24" would be a big improvement over a TV.

I agree though that the Mac Mini makes sense and is an awesome computer. If you want a laptop the 13" Macbook Pro is the best bang for the buck you can get.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:26 AM   #7
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Mac mini should be find for you. It has separate audio input and output so that should help with your audio needs. Not even the iMac has this I believe and none of any laptops. I'd also recommend a monitor over your HDTV. There is a very good reason why there still exists computer monitors and HDTVs in a world where many things are being combined (i.e. GPS and smartphones, PS cameras and smartphones, etc.).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice