Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
So this is my first post,

Yesterday, I tipped a bottle of a very sugary non alcoholic "beer" on my MBA. It tipped right on the vent dock under the screen, and all what got spilled went right into the vents.

I reacted fast and picked up the mb but as I was doing so, it went off. Since then (yesterday), it refuses to work.

As a desperate measure to rid it from all that sugary goodness, I was thinking if I should dip the non-monitor portion of the laptop into distilled water, let it dry out for a week or two, then give it a shot.. What do you guys think ?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013

Yesterday, I tipped a bottle of a very sugary non alcoholic "beer" on my MBA. It tipped right on the vent dock under the screen, and all what got spilled went right into the vents.

I reacted fast and picked up the mb but as I was doing so, it went off. Since then (yesterday), it refuses to work.

As a desperate measure to rid it from all that sugary goodness, I was thinking if I should dip the non-monitor portion of the laptop into distilled water, let it dry out for a week or two, then give it a shot.. What do you guys think ?

No. Disassemble the computer's bottom, and pat the logic board with distilled water and the moatherboard if you can and any other parts that smell like sugar. Then either leave it to dry for a while or put it in a bag of rice for a few days.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would take the MBA bottom off, remove the battery, then wash the rest of the computer bottom portion with distilled water. Careful to not get the screen wet.

Let it dry out for a few days and plug the battery back in.

This is the reason I have a keyboard cover and don't let any beverages near my MBA.

Get the TPU covers over the silicon ones as they are much thinner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARRIVAL...pt=US_Keyboard_Protectors&hash=item2a1d979a5b

bluetea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I would take the MBA bottom off, remove the battery, then wash the rest of the computer bottom portion with distilled water. Careful to not get the screen wet.

Let it dry out for a few days and plug the battery back in.

This is the reason I have a keyboard cover and don't let any beverages near my MBA.

Get the TPU covers over the silicon ones as they are much thinner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARRIVAL...pt=US_Keyboard_Protectors&hash=item2a1d979a5b

I do have a keyboard tpu skin.. I spilled the liquid into the vents under the monitor, not on the keyboard..

bluetea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
My recommendation to take the battery out first before you wash with distilled water stands.

Hope everything works out.

I'll post pictures as I go through the procedure, we'll see how that goes. I have nothing to lose lol..

eschw95458

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
I personally use this CRC QD electronic cleaner which can be found at napa, sometimes ACE hardware, but usually easy to find. (quick web check shows walmart, decent hardware stores, and just about any car parts store should have it)
Start by spraying it on a paper towel and cleaning with that making sure to use new sections of the paper towel frequently. (Try not to get it on your hands as it really dries out your skin)
Then spray liberally starting from the top and working your way to the bottom, (you should probably do this part outside) Make sure to shake it well after you are done to get any "puddles" thinned. As the electronic cleaner is quick dry set it in the sun for half an hour or so and put the battery back in and give it a go.
And as others have suggested, try not to get it up on the screen. And this stuff is safe for plastic so probably no worries there, but always a good idea to spot check first.

Last edited:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I read where someone removed the battery, swirled it around in distilled water, let it drip dry for a few minutes, and then put it in a sack of rice for a week. But that Air was off. If you've shorted something there is nothing you can do but pray.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
spill

I learned this with a Powerbook...that if you do not have to take a computer
to locations outside the house...U are not a salesman etc...then do not buy a laptop...a keyboard for an Imac or mac mini is cheap, but fixing your problem may cost hundreds...many people buy a laptop and it never leaves their desk....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.