Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_games_banner-250x124.jpg
Following today's rumor that Apple was quietly polling developers at this week's Game Developers Conference about support for a forthcoming gaming controller for iOS devices, the ever-reliable Jim Dalrymple has quickly quashed that report.

As usual, Dalrymple provides no additional comment beyond a simple "Nope", but his selective quoting of the source material suggests that he is denying any current plans for an Apple-branded controller.
"Long rumoured - and hoped for - GDC 2013 has finally provided confirmation that Apple will release its own dedicated game controller."

Nope.
Dalrymple has solid connections at Apple and has on numerous occasions and with 100% accuracy either confirmed or denied specific rumors. Prior to today, his most recent such statement came last month when he nixed a claim of a television-related Apple media event scheduled Apple for this month.

Article Link: Apple Has No Plans for Dedicated iOS Gaming Controller

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Judging from typical Apple trends, It'll probably be a one button controller anyways if it did ever happen.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Welp, the thought of it was fun while it lasted. I'll be patiently awaiting the next-gen Xbox anyhow :)

EDIT - Holy moly grammar on my part.

Last edited:

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Not sure why anyone would buy into this anyway. Apple has always said that the iPhone is about touch... releasing a game controller not only reverses their trends, but it also complicates things by adding apps into the App Store that require an accessory.

Apple will never do this.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Drats.

Not sure why anyone would buy into this anyway. Apple has always said that the iPhone is about touch... releasing a game controller not only reverses their trends, but it also complicates things by adding apps into the App Store that require an accessory.

Apple will never do this.

There are already a ton of apps in the app store at require a physical accessory of some sort. And it's not like game developers couldn't implement both touch and physical controls. In fact all the iCade compatible games do that already.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
How come Dalrymple knows all these things? He's not confirming/denying rumors anonymously, so why wouldn't his sources at Apple stop giving him information if they know he leaks?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Too bad! I hoped it was true, but Dalrymple's record is good.

Back to my iCade.

speaking anonymously, multiple developer sources have confirmed the news to PocketGamer.biz.

So, pure fiction from Pocketgamer? They lied about hearing this from multiple developers? Noted for future reference!

How come Dalrymple knows all these things? He's not confirming/denying rumors anonymously, so why wouldn't his sources at Apple stop giving him information if they know he leaks?

Because they DO know. They're the ones telling him, knowing it will/might get out. It's not a "leak," more a "back-channel" I'd say.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

Apple feeds him bits of information that they want to be public without making a formal statement. Typically the types of information he is afforded are simple "nopes" to outrageous rumors. It is their way of controlling expectations.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
A Joypad made by Apple would suck, they can't even make a decent mouse! a far better idea would be to incorporate BT drivers in iOS then we could have the option of using PS3 pads etc.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Apple feeds him bits of information that they want to be public without making a formal statement. Typically the types of information he is afforded are simple "nopes" to outrageous rumors. It is their way of controlling expectations.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/2...le-media-events-for-new-iphone-and-ipad-mini/

He pretty much confirmed the fact that there was going to be an iPad mini. Are you saying Apple wanted that? I can't imagine that, but I guess it's Apple we're talking about...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/2...le-media-events-for-new-iphone-and-ipad-mini/

He pretty much confirmed the fact that there was going to be an iPad mini. Are you saying Apple wanted that? I can't imagine that, but I guess it's Apple we're talking about...

Yes. I'm not sure if you're new to the ballgame here, but Apple regularly "leaks" information to trusted journalists. Walt Mossberg, David Pogue, and a few others are seeded these little nuggets of info to get the excitement rolling.

To the masses, Apple has an image of secrecy. To anyone that follows closely, they are actually quite loose with details when they want to be. It is all part of the PR/Marketing game.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
iOS controller or not, it seems that Apple may indeed have met some devs at GDC, if we were to believe this:

Phil Fish (creator of FEZ) posted a cryptic tweet three days ago about a meeting with Apple, which I thought was weird since I don't think that Apple was officially at GDC.

GDCTweet.png

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/316736139753029633

Note: Phil Fish is a little weird so I'm not sure what to think of it.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
"Nope" might mean no to a physical controller, but yes to a software based controller (on iPod touch/iPhone/iPad) in conjunction with Apple TV gaming apps....??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.