Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
When I am listening to a song on iTunes and I click another one to play it it now prompts me with a popup that says "You are about to start playback. Do you want to clear the song previously added to Up Next?" Wtf?? Is this seriously a new feature of the new iTunes? If so I am going to go back to an older version, that is absolutely stupid. Why would they implement such an intrusive annoying feature?? You should be able to click on a song and it should play. I seriously hope this is just a setting I accidentally activated.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When I am listening to a song on iTunes and I click another one to play it it now prompts me with a popup that says "You are about to start playback. Do you want to clear the song previously added to Up Next?" Wtf?? Is this seriously a new feature of the new iTunes? If so I am going to go back to an older version, that is absolutely stupid. Why would they implement such an intrusive annoying feature?? You should be able to click on a song and it should play. I seriously hope this is just a setting I accidentally activated.

Think it's a setting you tripped, I haven't seen this on mine.

b11web

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
Think it's a setting you tripped, I haven't seen this on mine.

Please note that the following solution for this problem has been found to work for iTunes 12.4.2.4 for Windows. If any other people using versions of iTunes newer than 11 up the the current version for Windows or the current version of iTunes for Mac OSX that want to append anything to this old thread by all means do so.

The setting that TH55 has tripped is simply the "Up Next" function which is triggered when you right-click on a song and select "Play Next" instead of double-clicking on the file so that it "Plays Now". Once you clear the "Up Next" queue of items, the problem goes away.

PS: This message is probably 3 years too late for TH55, but for anyone else getting this message:

"You are about to start playback. Do you want to clear the <songs in Up next queue> songs previously added to Up Next?"...

upload_2016-8-5_4-2-32.png

...press the "Up Next" button (shown below glowing in blue),

UpNextActive.jpg

...then keep clicking the "Clear" button until the "Up Next" list of items is completely empty.

002UpNextClear.jpg

If you've followed this process correctly, the "Up Next" button will change from a blue glow to the usual grey.

003UpNextOff.jpg

Problem fixed! Now you can double-click the file name to play what you want without the "You are about to start playback" message.

More info from CNet about how to use the "Up Next" function (introduced in iTunes 11):
http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-use-the-new-up-next-feature-in-itunes-11/

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueberryMac

BlueberryMac

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Please note that the following solution for this problem has been found to work for iTunes 12.4.2.4 for Windows. If any other people using versions of iTunes newer than 11 up the the current version for Windows or the current version of iTunes for Mac OSX that want to append anything to this old thread by all means do so.

The setting that TH55 has tripped is simply the "Up Next" function which is triggered when you right-click on a song and select "Play Next" instead of double-clicking on the file so that it "Plays Now". Once you clear the "Up Next" queue of items, the problem goes away.

PS: This message is probably 3 years too late for TH55, but for anyone else getting this message:

"You are about to start playback. Do you want to clear the <songs in Up next queue> songs previously added to Up Next?"...

View attachment 643443

...press the "Up Next" button (shown below glowing in blue),

View attachment 643446

...then keep clicking the "Clear" button until the "Up Next" list of items is completely empty.

View attachment 643449

If you've followed this process correctly, the "Up Next" button will change from a blue glow to the usual grey.

View attachment 643450

Problem fixed! Now you can double-click the file name to play what you want without the "You are about to start playback" message.

More info from CNet about how to use the "Up Next" function (introduced in iTunes 11):
http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-use-the-new-up-next-feature-in-itunes-11/
Thank you for posting this—this has been driving me nuts in iTunes! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.