Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
robot62155
macrumors member

Issue with Wi-Fi and connecting

Hello everybody! I have recently been having a problem where every time I log onto my Macbook Pro, my computer will not automatically connect to my own Wi-Fi. It automatically connects to my neighbor's Wi-Fi. While this is not the worst issue in the world, it gets annoying. I have tried using the 'forget this network' button in system preferences multiple times, but it does not work. Is there a way to set my own Wi-Fi to the default network to connect to? I have fiddled around in System Preferences quite a lot, but I've decided it's time to seek help here. Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
robot62155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a

Neighbors wifi requires a username and password, or is it an unsecured network?
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Weaselboy

Go to the screen below in the advanced section of the wifi network in the Network pref pane in System Prefs. Select ALL the entries then click the minus to remove them. Go ahead and check the box to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Then click okay.

Thumb resize.

Now back on the main Network pref pane UNcheck "Ask to join new networks.

Thumb resize.

Now logout then log back in and manually select your wifi network. That should add it to the preferred list and it should only automatically logon to your network.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #4
robot62155
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Go to the screen below in the advanced section of the wifi network in the Network pref pane in System Prefs. Select ALL the entries then click the minus to remove them. Go ahead and check the box to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Then click okay.

Thumb resize.

Now back on the main Network pref pane UNcheck "Ask to join new networks.

Thumb resize.

Now logout then log back in and manually select your wifi network. That should add it to the preferred list and it should only automatically logon to your network.

This worked perfectly. Thank you!
robot62155 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion