Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have LTE at times but my area is mostly 3G. Does Apple still force YouTube videos to be a lower resolution?

And do people still use 3G Unrestrictor or is there a better alternative?

Thx

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I have LTE at times but my area is mostly 3G. Does Apple still force YouTube videos to be a lower resolution?

And do people still use 3G Unrestrictor or is there a better alternative?

Thx

I use the original ProTube. I thought I remember reading that the YouTube app was gonna allow for streaming HD over cellular? Is that not true? Either way even if google added hd streaming over cell, I would still use ProTube. I love that app. Plus it has an "open in ProTube" extension for links and stuff. Pretty cool.

Some people have had a good experience with the new YourTube. That's also an option.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
I use the original ProTube. I thought I remember reading that the YouTube app was gonna allow for streaming HD over cellular? Is that not true? Either way even if google added hd streaming over cell, I would still use ProTube. I love that app. Plus it has an "open in ProTube" extension for links and stuff. Pretty cool.

Some people have had a good experience with the new YourTube. That's also an option.

Yeah ProTube gives you the option of downloading any video in HD regardless of how you are connected to the Internet.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

I'll probably try one of these out cool. I havent tested it a lot but was on 3G the other day and tried the YouTube app the quality seemed degraded a bit.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I still use it. For youtube purposes and some online games. I also prefer protube 2 to enhance YouTube rather than have the standalone app.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'll probably try one of these out cool. I havent tested it a lot but was on 3G the other day and tried the YouTube app the quality seemed degraded a bit.

Yea definitely look into both ProTube and YourTube. Also keep in mind there are 2 different versions of ProTube. I use the original, standalone app. The other version is a YouTube extension where ProTube features are built right into the YouTube app from the App Store. This is the same with YourTube as well. YourTube is built right into the official YouTube app from the App Store. Ill post a link to a recent comparison article from iDownloadBlog comparing the 2 tweaks built into the YouTube app.

Here's the link....

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/13/yourtube-vs-protube/

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Yea definitely look into both ProTube and YourTube. Also keep in mind there are 2 different versions of ProTube. I use the original, standalone app. The other version is a YouTube extension where ProTube features are built right into the YouTube app from the App Store. This is the same with YourTube as well. YourTube is built right into the official YouTube app from the App Store. Ill post a link to a recent comparison article from iDownloadBlog comparing the 2 tweaks built into the YouTube app.

Here's the link....

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/13/yourtube-vs-protube/
Thanks Bump going to check this out, so just to be clear though either of these apps will give me HD quality over 3G service right?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks Bump going to check this out, so just to be clear though either of these apps will give me HD quality over 3G service right?

Can't speak on YourTube since I never bothered to buy it since I own ProTube, but I can say, that yes, ProTube let's you choose ANY avalaible quality. So if there's a 1080p stream available, you can choose that. Although I usually go with the 720p over cellular so it doesn't take forever to buffer, but I still get HD. But yea, ProTube let's you stream HD over cellular. Sometimes when its just music I'm streaming and don't care about the video quality, ill choose 240p, especially when I have poor reception, and the video loads almost instantly lol.

I hope this helps!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Can't speak on YourTube since I never bothered to buy it since I own ProTube, but I can say, that yes, ProTube let's you choose ANY avalaible quality. So if there's a 1080p stream available, you can choose that. Although I usually go with the 720p over cellular so it doesn't take forever to buffer, but I still get HD. But yea, ProTube let's you stream HD over cellular. Sometimes when its just music I'm streaming and don't care about the video quality, ill choose 240p, especially when I have poor reception, and the video loads almost instantly lol.

I hope this helps!
I'm in the clear now awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.