Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitel4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
UK
Can someone help me!! I have several external HDD. One I use only for my iMac and is MAC formatted which is fine. But Others I have had from my Windows days that is read only on my iMac because its formatted to Windows NT.

Can I format these to use on both Mac and Windows? If so, How?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Can someone help me!! I have several external HDD. One I use only for my iMac and is MAC formatted which is fine. But Others I have had from my Windows days that is read only on my iMac because its formatted to Windows NT.

Step by step. You can do this on the Windows machine or your Mac:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13415_53-10286826-11.html

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

If they are NTFS you can normally only Read on OS X by default, if you use a 3rd party solution like Paragon NTFS Driver for Mac it can Read/Write to it, you might look into it, there are a few more which do the same but overall Paragon seems to be the best choice.
Or, you can Format them as ExFAT, you can use for normal Data but you can not make a bootable HD on this format, you can use TimeMachine though since it will create an Image on the disk which is a file.

Step by step. You can do this on the Windows machine or your Mac:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13415_53-10286826-11.html

ExFAT would be better, FAT32 has a 4 GB Limit, but you know this.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.