Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Hi all.

For some time I am experiencing a very disturbing and unpleasant issue: often when I watch a video o listen to music my macbook starts to stutter, in those "stutter-moments" macbook goes non-interactable for small amounts of time. Sometimes it results into a kernel panic, sometimes into a "chronic stutter", that you can see on the second video:

stuttering during video: http://www.telly.com/AYWPV6
chronic stuttering: http://www.telly.com/AYWPV6

It looks to be more likely to go into stutter if at least one of the following:
- I use my external samsung display. I alway use it at 1980x1080x60Hz.
- Macbook gets busy with something else. Seems like the more processor-demanding, the higher is the possibility to go stuttering.
- Hi-rez video. But at low-rez it happens too.

During investigating I saw that every time the issue takes place, a process "kernel_task" goes processor-binging taking up to 70% of the CPU.

Some people advised me to clear the system with Onyx and, after examining one of the kernel panic logs, to remove some of the applications (I removed Oracle Virtual Box and Soundflower). The macbook seems to function smoother after this cleaning, but the issue did not disappear.

Then I installed a clear system (also Lion)... the issue is still here. Then I added all of the available updates... the issue is still here. The only difference I saw is that this time, on the new-installed system the "kernel_task" process was not binging. But stuttering still takes place.

Then I heard a guess that it could be something about overheating or memory problems. The temperature at which the macbook CPU works is appr. 60-65 C when not very busy and 75-80 C when it is busy.

The memory test, which I did on a new-installed system in a single-user mode (command-s when booting), for which I used the memtest, "memtest all 2" command, did not show any problems with memory.

Soon after new install of the system I've got a new kernel panic.

So, I'm stuck :(

Those are the kernel panic logs:
- before cleanup: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54107411/panic1.rtf
- after new Mac OS X install: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54107411/panic2.rtf

P.S. the macbook is core 2 due 2.1, produced somewhere in the middle of 2007, the so-called "black" one (it's black ;) ). There are 2x2 Gb RAM ob board, but the system sees only 3 Gb (some motherboard limitation). There is an SSD, not an HDD inside now.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think the problem might be the limited RAM, when you have this stuttering open up Activity Monitor and see if you have lots of page outs.( Together with high CPU usage)

You can attach a screenshot of Activity monitor here, please only the window by holding Command-Shift-4 then hit SpaceBar and click on window.

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
I've done some screenshots, but not sure which to attach... the issues I'm experiencing right now are not so "fatal", perhaps due to a recent reboot.

Perhaps, if you tell me what should I look for, I could get a more precise screenshot?

P.S. Seems the issue comes not only during video/audio playback, but at other times as well. At other times it is just like the the macbook freezes for a half a second several times.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've done some screenshots, but not sure which to attach... the issues I'm experiencing right now are not so "fatal", perhaps due to a recent reboot.

Perhaps, if you tell me what should I look for, I could get a more precise screenshot?

P.S. Seems the issue comes not only during video/audio playback, but at other times as well. At other times it is just like the the macbook freezes for a half a second several times.

Screenshot of my Mini attached.
You should do the same, click on all processes in the drop down Menu, click on the CPU Tab to show the top % CPU user.
In the bottom you'll see page outs and used Memory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 19.55.16.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 19.55.16.png
    434 KB · Views: 490

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
I mean, what should I look for in the aktivity monitor? Because I've done near 10 screenshots already (though, the issue, as I mentioned, was not yet so hard as usually), should I share them all?

P.S. If this is all about RAM, can it be fixed? I mean I don't consider replacing the motherboard with another one, therefore comes a question, if the system can be somehow tweaked. Or must I install 10.6 Snow Leopard instead :( ?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I mean, what should I look for in the aktivity monitor? Because I've done near 10 screenshots already (though, the issue, as I mentioned, was not yet so hard as usually), should I share them all?

You should see some video and other things you normally do and then make a screenshot, a screenshot right after a restart doesn't say anything.

You have Lion installed, not really Apple's best OS.

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
LOL, seems there's some misunderstanding: I've meant, what should be displayed on the activity monitor during experiencing the issue when I'm supposed to take the screenshot?

Anyway, according to what I've read on memmanagement & pageouts, this sreenshot could be relevant:

thatsit.png

I think that pageouts = Seiteauslagerungen.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
LOL, seems there's some misunderstanding: I've meant, what should be displayed on the activity monitor during experiencing the issue when I'm supposed to take the screenshot?

Anyway, according to what I've read on memmanagement & pageouts, this sreenshot could be relevant:

I think that pageouts = Seiteauslagerungen.

Look at the Top, 75% for Flash, Flash sucks on Macs, just avoid using flash, you also have no RAM left, the green 3 something MB, you have 400 MB of swap, it's not that much but you probably just started, keep an eye on that.

Edit: Can you make the % a bit wider, is this the CPU %, if yes you seem to have more troubles, but I am not sure yet.

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
How could be flash avoided? it's everywhere on the internet.

What could be done regarding RAM?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How could be flash avoided? it's everywhere on the internet.

What could be done regarding RAM?

I updated my last post, in bold, please read and post a new one with the CPU Column wider, I am not sure if that is the CPU, look at my screenshot.

Edit: I see you have an SSD, this makes the RAM a bit less important since SSD's are much faster.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, this is the CPU. The column is labeled "% CPU".

If I add up all the % it's getting near to 200% which is the maximum load for the CPU, click on the CPU Tab in the lower part, and look if this is the case, screenshot below.

Even the Finder is 27% which it shouldn't if it's idle, but the main offender is Flash and you Mac does not have Hardware Acceleration, as far as I know all newer Macs have HW Acceleration now.
I have Flash disabled for most sites, just because it's a known problem for Macs.

Mine is a dual core and two virtualise ones.(i5)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 20.48.22.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 20.48.22.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 280

rreimche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
High load by the Finder seems not to be a common issue. I was monitoring it for the recent 2 hours and didn't see anything worth mentioning.

Here are 3 screenshots of different "modes":

Kinda idle, when almost nothing happens:

kindaidle.png

No issue, when something happens, for example, a watching of a video in youtube at 1080p, but no issue is being observed:

noissue.png

Issue, when watching youtube video and experiencing the issue:

issue.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.