Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Puff daddy
macrumors newbie

Collecting iPhones

Does anybody collect iPhones? I like to collect them and put them on display . As of right now I have about 15 iPhones of different styles and aftermarket colors and just love collecting them! Going to get a couple 5s when they come out to add to my collection.
Anybody else collect them like me?
Puff daddy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff daddy View Post
Like you ? I fear not many ... Enjoy your hobby
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I'm sure many people collect them! Just need to keep them sealed in original packaging to make them worth anything in the future!
TyPod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

The prices for a mint original iPhone on eBay are quite high--so I'd say there are a lot of collectors.
barkomatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
maflynn

No offense OP, but a phone is a tool for me, one that helps me make calls, run apps and at times, help time pass, especially when it comes to my kids, i.e., they like to play games.

I'm not really interested in putting my old iPhones behind glass but rather help fund the next model, i.e., sell them.

As they say what ever floats your boat and if you enjoy that sort of thing, I'm not going to rain on your parade, its just not for me.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:31 PM   #6
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I have two of my old iPhones hanging around, only one of which is in any kind of collection. I have my original 4GB iPhone on display on my shelf, simply because it was such a good phone to me for several years. My 3GS is still around, unlocked by AT&T, and used as a travel phone for international travel.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
ImaVeggie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff daddy View Post
Does anybody collect iPhones? I like to collect them and put them on display . As of right now I have about 15 iPhones of different styles and aftermarket colors and just love collecting them! Going to get a couple 5s when they come out to add to my collection.
Could you take a photo of your collection? I'd love to see them all.
ImaVeggie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
No offense OP, but a phone is a tool for me, one that helps me make calls, run apps and at times, help time pass, especially when it comes to my kids, i.e., they like to play games.

I'm not really interested in putting my old iPhones behind glass but rather help fund the next model, i.e., sell them.

As they say what ever floats your boat and if you enjoy that sort of thing, I'm not going to rain on your parade, its just not for me.
The same thing can be said about cars. They are tools for getting us from point A to point B. But there are people that spends thousands and thousands of dollars for them. And that floats their boats.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
The same thing can be said about cars. They are tools for getting us from point A to point B. But there are people that spends thousands and thousands of dollars for them. And that floats their boats.
I agree and I take the same sentiment. I opted for a Honda Civic, instead of something more expensive or luxurious. Its a great car with great mileage. Back to my point, I'm not trying to criticize the OP, quite the opposite. If he's enjoying the idea of collecting iPhones, the more power too him. It doesn't do anything for me, but its his money and his choice.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
The same thing can be said about cars.

Cars get chics, phone......
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:59 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post

Agreed, I don't see the point in doing that either. But as long as the OP enjoys it, I say go for it OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Cars get chics, phone......
It's a good thing chicks (sic) are so dumb that they can be so impressed by a car that they don't notice what is sitting behind the wheel.

Chicks (sic) get suckered by cool wheels, and don't care about other stuff, like whether the owner is actually human.

Welcome to the past, and the Playboy man.

Unfortunately, you chicks (sic) out there have a bit of work to do with some of the young men today and their attitudes toward women.

Please accept my apologies for for the mindset of some representatives of my gender.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
It's a good thing chicks (sic) are so dumb that they can be so impressed by a car that they don't notice what is sitting behind the wheel.

Chicks (sic) get suckered by cool wheels, and don't care about other stuff, like whether the owner is actually human.

Unfortunately, you chicks (sic) out there have a bit of work to do with some of the young men today and their attitudes toward women.

Please accept my apologies for for the mindset of some representatives of my gender.
Well said. When you guys truly learn how to appreciate and treat a woman with respect, it's only then you'll realize how good she can treat you in return. A nice car may last you 10 years, but a good woman can last you a lifetime. It's a no brainer.
Chris092881 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #14
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Well said. When you guys truly learn how to appreciate and treat a woman with respect, it's only then you'll realize how good she can treat you in return. A nice car may last you 10 years, but a good woman can last you a lifetime. It's a no brainer.
In this day and age 10 years is a life time
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
In this day and age 10 years is a life time
You're missing the point, dude.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:28 PM   #16
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You're missing the point, dude.
No I completely understand your point. It was material things only go so far.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
No I completely understand your point. It was material things only go so far.
More or less.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:39 PM   #18
jenni122701
macrumors regular

Many of these posts have nothing to do with the OP's topic. On that note, I don't collect iPhones but I think it's as good of a thing to collect as another. I also would love to see the OP's collection.
iPhone 5C
jenni122701 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #19
madsci954
macrumors 68000

This topic has me wondering how much an original iPhone from 2007, factory sealed, would go for these days.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
This topic has me wondering how much an original iPhone from 2007, factory sealed, would go for these days.
It would worth a lot if serial 00001 and/or has signatures of all designers on the back cover.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:26 PM   #21
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

Really? His statement bothered you that much? Come on now, it's ok.
AFDoc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:40 PM   #22
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

i collect..check my posts
Appl3FTW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
taedouni
macrumors 65816

Collecting iPhones seems a bit silly. If you were into collected launch products then that makes sense (iPhone 1, iPad 1, Macintosh 1984, etc.)
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:28 AM   #24
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I don't really like collecting things but I don't mind keeping a few things that I like a lot. I think I would probably just keep an original iPhone, white 3GS, and black 4S if I were collecting. But I wouldnt really call that a collection.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:28 AM   #25
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Personally, the way I see it is that the apps themselves will have more value than the phones. Because 10 years from now, the ones we have on our iOS devices now, won't still be in development. The app scene in 2008 was totally different to what it is now too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone