Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
johnnyyt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Deleting applications

this might sound like a stupid question but i'm fairly new to mac so i'm still getting used to the osx

when deleting an application, how do i know for sure that its completely gone?
johnnyyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Stewart21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyyt View Post
this might sound like a stupid question but i'm fairly new to mac so i'm still getting used to the osx

when deleting an application, how do i know for sure that its completely gone?
Check the basement. Seriously this is asked so often a quick search on the forum will reveal the answer.
__________________
20" iMac 2007 2GHZ C2D 4GB RAM 250GB & 2011 13' MBA 1.7GHz i5 4GB 128SSD. Both OSX Mavericks. iPad Mini 32GB WiFi Black/Slate. ATV3.
Stewart21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyyt View Post
this might sound like a stupid question but i'm fairly new to mac so i'm still getting used to the osx

when deleting an application, how do i know for sure that its completely gone?
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
tzus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
A very good uninstaller is iTrash. It can be run in the background and uninstalls apps when they are dragged into Trash.
tzus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzus View Post
A very good uninstaller is iTrash. It can be run in the background and uninstalls apps when they are dragged into Trash.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:06 AM   #6
tzus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
True. But you don't always need a sledge hammer to crack a peanut! In most cases what iTrash will do is quite sufficient; and it has an advanced setting if you want to dig deeper. It all depends on how keen you are to scrub everything off every time.
tzus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:29 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzus View Post
True. But you don't always need a sledge hammer to crack a peanut! In most cases what iTrash will do is quite sufficient; and it has an advanced setting if you want to dig deeper. It all depends on how keen you are to scrub everything off every time.
It's not a sledge hammer. It takes less than a minute to completely remove an app using Finder. Even with advanced settings, iTrash will not remove all files/folders, and in many cases such apps remove small files like .plist files, but leave behind much larger files. For those with limited space available on internal drives, freeing such space is extremely useful. Again, use iTrash if you prefer, but be aware of its limitations.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:16 PM   #8
johnnyyt
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's not a sledge hammer. It takes less than a minute to completely remove an app using Finder. Even with advanced settings, iTrash will not remove all files/folders, and in many cases such apps remove small files like .plist files, but leave behind much larger files. For those with limited space available on internal drives, freeing such space is extremely useful. Again, use iTrash if you prefer, but be aware of its limitations.
thanks for the advice. its funny because i just download appzapper and one of the links you posted showed that appzapper was one of the worst apps for deleting programs lol
johnnyyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzus View Post
But you don't always need a sledge hammer to crack a peanut!
If all you're trying to do is crack a peanut, moving the app to the trash is sufficient.
__________________
dejo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some help deleting m-a-d iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Apr 10, 2014 09:54 PM
Wipe '08 MacBook Unibody Hard Drive w/o Deleting Applications? MacFly69 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Mar 12, 2014 11:50 AM
Deleting Mailbox Without Deleting Messages T3hPreacher Mac Basics and Help 1 Apr 13, 2013 09:04 AM
Deleting music from one library without deleting it from another library - Mac gpr137 Mac Basics and Help 2 Dec 6, 2012 08:26 PM
Deleting icloud email on my desktop is not deleting it on my iphone. Help! FloridaMac iPhone 0 Jul 11, 2012 09:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC