Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Out of interest, if we keep hearing that all you need to do is a) Clear History, Reset Safari, and Empty Cache in the Safari settings for peace of mind, and anything else you'd be paranoid about...

.... then why, after I do all that, do I then see on Google search page links of websites I've visited previously still purpled out instead of the fresh blue colour that you see if history/cache are cleared correctly, and why when I go on to some of the forums I use does it still have me logged in to them, and my Gmail.com also the same.

I'm sure that in the past this was never the case. Can anyone explain why this now happens. Not paranoid, but think these are the least we should expect if we clear history, reset Safari, and Empty cache.

There's either a problem my end or Safari is not doing what you think it's doing, and I'm guessing there are scattered files all over taking up unnecessary room somewhere on the Mac.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Out of interest, if we keep hearing that all you need to do is a) Clear History, Reset Safari, and Empty Cache in the Safari settings for peace of mind, and anything else you'd be paranoid about...

.... then why, after I do all that, do I then see on Google search page links of websites I've visited previously still purpled out instead of the fresh blue colour that you see if history/cache are cleared correctly, and why when I go on to some of the forums I use does it still have me logged in to them, and my Gmail.com also the same.

I'm sure that in the past this was never the case. Can anyone explain why this now happens. Not paranoid, but think these are the least we should expect if we clear history, reset Safari, and Empty cache.

There's either a problem my end or Safari is not doing what you think it's doing, and I'm guessing there are scattered files all over taking up unnecessary room somewhere on the Mac.

No, Google keeps track of that, not Safari. Go to history.google.com to clear that up.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Interesting... didn't know that, So logging out of Gmail also. Thanks

How about the forums and stuff I'm still logged in to, they're not Google relevant are they. I'm not bothered by it, just curious more than anything. I never noticed before, but maybe wasn't logged into Google at the time before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.