Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mssavenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
I bought the new MacBook pro 13 inch with retina display yesterday. And as it hasn't got a disk drive, I wanted to use migration assistant to transfer just my apps, as I have cs5.5 and iWork on my old MacBook Pro (15 inch 2010 edition).
When I started migration assistant over wifi the estimated time went up to like 70+ hours.
I researched online and people said they used a FireWire cable and it took less than an hour so I went to the apple store today and they told me to use a thunderbolt cable which is much better.
I started migration assistant at 12:30 this afternoon and its been going now for about 8 hours and still says 20+ hours and has only downloaded a quarter of the way.
Does anyone know what the problem is? Because I really have to do college work on my laptop and this time is ridiculous.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Firewire is the limiting factor and the number of files. Firewire offers 50 to 75 MB/s read/write speeds, and depending on how much data in GB and in number of files you have, it can take long or Migration Assistant is just hanging (probably a bug with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion).
Go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor > Disk Activity and see how much data is read and written per second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.