Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Video Editing Software for Graphic Designer

Hello peeps!

I'm a long time Photoshop user. I've grown very used to its blending modes and layer-based editing.
I also used to be an Aperture user; I jumped ship to Lightroom and the only thing I miss is the speed that Lightroom lacks.
But I'm still using FCPX for my video work. Its UI is very user friendly, and I've been using it ever since I moved to a Mac two years ago. Before that I used Vegas Pro, which had a similar UI and workflow.

But after seeing video tutorials about the Premiere Pro workflow I'm seriously considering switching. The thing that draws me the most is the adjustment layer and blending mode options that I consider indispensable in Photoshop. They'd be very useful in video editing too but I'm not sure if I should go through the hassle of switching from FCPX to Premiere Pro for them.

So should I give Premiere Pro a go or stick with FCPX?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodo123 View Post
Hello peeps!

I'm a long time Photoshop user. I've grown very used to its blending modes and layer-based editing.
I also used to be an Aperture user; I jumped ship to Lightroom and the only thing I miss is the speed that Lightroom lacks.
But I'm still using FCPX for my video work. Its UI is very user friendly, and I've been using it ever since I moved to a Mac two years ago. Before that I used Vegas Pro, which had a similar UI and workflow.

But after seeing video tutorials about the Premiere Pro workflow I'm seriously considering switching. The thing that draws me the most is the adjustment layer and blending mode options that I consider indispensable in Photoshop. They'd be very useful in video editing too but I'm not sure if I should go through the hassle of switching from FCPX to Premiere Pro for them.

So should I give Premiere Pro a go or stick with FCPX?
Your only question should be if you want to shell out the money or not. It's not like it works that differently than FCP, or any other NLE for that matter. They're all more or less the same, with the exception of some of the stuff that you mentioned.

After Effects serves a different purpose than FCP or Premiere, but it's also very similar to how Photoshop works. Lots of the same effects with the same controls. I wish Photoshop worked a bit more like After Effects, actually. There's pretty much nothing you can do that's destructive. Everything is based upon removable effects, and there's never a need to "rasterize" anything.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Kevin Monahan
macrumors regular

I'm biased, but I think you'll take to the workflow easily.

I like being able to have access to my Photoshop files right in the Timeline.
I like to use blending modes and have them playback in real time.
I like the freedom of the integration with After Effects.
I like the ability of using adjustment layers wherever I want.
Kevin Monahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
mBox
macrumors 68020

kevin thats not fair

the only things the poster should consider is the cost of moving.

PPro blends well with its family
mBox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:05 AM   #5
arjen92
macrumors 65816

Give it a shot with the trial version. Just make a small project and you'll know whether you like it or not.

I learned FCP7 and then rolled into Premiere Pro with the FCP X update. From FCP7 to Premiere Pro isn't that big of a difference. But you might walk into some difficulties when you come from FCP X. Therefore I advise to do the trial first.

Personally, I wouldn't let the overlay options be the decisive argument. Therefore, do the trial version and see what you like better overall. You can always work around those overlay settings (do it in AE or something like that, perhaps a plugin).

By the way, I realize that this thread has been here for a while. So perhaps you already decided. Maybe you could update us on what you've decided and how that's working out for you?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video