Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
QuickTime will take a huge movie and let me iMessage it no problem.
I'd like to email that same movie to people that don't have iMessage but there's no good way I can figure out to send a decent file size.

The email option still gives me a 56mb file.
Wonder why apple hasn't made and easy email option?

File export to 3G iPod is still nowhere near small enough.

Thanks in advance for help

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That has nothing to do with your Mac. It is a restriction on email attachment size imposed by your email provider. Most are 10 or 20MB.

Dropbox works for this like 26139 mentioned. Or you can use something like droplr to share the file.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
Jeeez thats a great idea.

Thank you, I never thought of that.

Don't you find it weird though that apple will shrink a movie for iMessage but not to a reasonable size for emails?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Don't you find it weird though that apple will shrink a movie for iMessage but not to a reasonable size for emails?

I don't think it has anything to do with Quicktime. I bet it is the same 56MB file either way, and your email provider blocks large emails like that. iMessage is not using your email provider, but rather it runs through Apple's servers and does not have that file size limitation.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
No, I agree with what you are saying totally.

But a 500MB QT movie when selecting share/ iMessage gets a significant compression and file shrink. The quality is really low but perfect for an iPhone.

I was just wondering why the email share button doesn't have a Full-Medium-Small option so we can bypass the email provider limitations.

As far as I can tell, anything much over 15mb get kicked back to me.

Thanks again

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No, I agree with what you are saying totally.

But a 500MB QT movie when selecting share/ iMessage gets a significant compression and file shrink. The quality is really low but perfect for an iPhone.

I was just wondering why the email share button doesn't have a Full-Medium-Small option so we can bypass the email provider limitations.

Thanks again

Ohhh... I gotcha. What you could try is export at full size then use something like the free app Handbrake to compress it to say an iPhone compatible video. That might make it small enough to email, although at some loss in quality. When you open the file in Handbrake just choose one of the "Preset" conversions on the right side. There is a standard preset for iPhone.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks again

Again its a server issue. iMessages are going through an Apple server and they have no problem with letting you send larger files.

The email server owners have other opinions. That is why you are getting kick back. And they can't really offer those compression choices because every provider has their own rules. Makes it crazy hard to impossible to include the options because there are too many possibles

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
Ohhh... I gotcha. What you could try is export at full size then use something like the free app Handbrake to compress it to say an iPhone compatible video. That might make it small enough to email, although at some loss in quality. When you open the file in Handbrake just choose one of the "Preset" conversions on the right side. There is a standard preset for iPhone.

Good tip. I'll give that a shot.

you guys are good, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.