Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1
sgtcasey
macrumors newbie

Time Machine backup to Windows file share

Hello everyone,

This post is mostly informational and will describe what I had to do to get this to work. I spent several hours last night following various guides I found via Google searches but none of them helped out with the error I was getting when I would use the tmutil command. The error is:

incompatible file system type: smbfs (error 45)

The links I found said to use the DiskUtility application to create the sparsebundle file. This never worked. I then had an idea to instead use the hdiutil command line application to create the sparsebundle file. That worked perfectly.

hdiutil create -size 200g -fs HFS+j -volname "Time Machine" NAME_XXXXXXXXXXXX.sparsebundle

NAME is the name of your Mac machine, the X's are the MAC address of the Ethernet interface that you use to connect to your network. I use wireless, so I grabbed the en1 MAC. If you use wired then the en0 is for you. Drop the :'s in the MAC address.

Once I created the sparsebundle file I just copied it over to my Windows 8 shared folder I had previously created and mounted to my Mac OS X machine.

Then I used the sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/Time\ Machine/ command to point Time Machine to this and it worked perfectly.

As said before, this post is mostly information since I was unable to find help with the error I was getting. I will answer any questions anyone has on this.

Dave
sgtcasey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:19 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Hope for you it will work and stays that way, what if this Error you got is for a reason and you later end up with a corrupt System or backup!

I myself prefer CCC instead of TM, there are lots of people here with TM problem, plenty a day, no, I do not trust TM, but this is my own opinion of course.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
sgtcasey
macrumors newbie

I normally wouldn't bother to back up my MBP but I recently ran into some "issues" with iTunes and songs I had previously purchased which were no longer available for download from iTunes.

This is the first time I'm using Time Machine ever and it seems to be going fine. Just a few hours to finish the initial data backup and then I'll start to see how valid this is over time.

What is CCC?

[Edit] Nevermind... it's CarbonCopyCloner.

Dave
sgtcasey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion