Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgtcasey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
New Mexico
Hello everyone,

This post is mostly informational and will describe what I had to do to get this to work. I spent several hours last night following various guides I found via Google searches but none of them helped out with the error I was getting when I would use the tmutil command. The error is:

incompatible file system type: smbfs (error 45)

The links I found said to use the DiskUtility application to create the sparsebundle file. This never worked. I then had an idea to instead use the hdiutil command line application to create the sparsebundle file. That worked perfectly.

hdiutil create -size 200g -fs HFS+j -volname "Time Machine" NAME_XXXXXXXXXXXX.sparsebundle

NAME is the name of your Mac machine, the X's are the MAC address of the Ethernet interface that you use to connect to your network. I use wireless, so I grabbed the en1 MAC. If you use wired then the en0 is for you. Drop the :'s in the MAC address.

Once I created the sparsebundle file I just copied it over to my Windows 8 shared folder I had previously created and mounted to my Mac OS X machine.

Then I used the sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/Time\ Machine/ command to point Time Machine to this and it worked perfectly.

As said before, this post is mostly information since I was unable to find help with the error I was getting. I will answer any questions anyone has on this.

Dave

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hope for you it will work and stays that way, what if this Error you got is for a reason and you later end up with a corrupt System or backup!

I myself prefer CCC instead of TM, there are lots of people here with TM problem, plenty a day, no, I do not trust TM, but this is my own opinion of course.

sgtcasey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
New Mexico
I normally wouldn't bother to back up my MBP but I recently ran into some "issues" with iTunes and songs I had previously purchased which were no longer available for download from iTunes.

This is the first time I'm using Time Machine ever and it seems to be going fine. Just a few hours to finish the initial data backup and then I'll start to see how valid this is over time.

What is CCC?

[Edit] Nevermind... it's CarbonCopyCloner. :)

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.