Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
boop777
macrumors newbie

Not happy

Got an iPhone 4s on Craigslist. The guy who sold it said he didn't need it anymore, so I try to connection it with my carrier and it looks like the phone is still attach to an sprint account. I call the guy to ask him to release it from sprint and his number is no longer good. Anyone nows how I can release the iPhone from.this number?? I tried reset but the old number still there..help!!
boop777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boop777 View Post
Got an iPhone 4s on Craigslist. The guy who sold it said he didn't need it anymore, so I try to connection it with my carrier and it looks like the phone is still attach to an sprint account. I call the guy to ask him to release it from sprint and his number is no longer good. Anyone nows how I can release the iPhone from.this number?? I tried reset but the old number still there..help!!
This is why you need to meet the seller at a Sprint/Verizon corporate store when you're buying CDMA iPhones on Craigslist (which all Sprint/Verizon phones are.) If the seller won't meet at a carrier corporate store to do the transfer, I would assume the phone is stolen or their account is not in good standing and therefore the carrier won't activate the phone on a different line (bad ESN).

Unless Craigslist offers you some form of buyer protection (which I don't think they do), I think you're out the cash you paid for the phone. Sorry. It's a life lesson you likely will only need to learn once.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
petrucci666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boop777 View Post
Call Sprint, explain the situation, they should be able to help.
petrucci666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:17 PM   #4
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

That sucks!
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:31 PM   #5
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci666 View Post
Call Sprint, explain the situation, they should be able to help.
I doubt it.

If the OP calls Sprint or even goes to a Sprint corporate store with his story, they have no proof he didn't just steal the phone himself and is now trying to get it activated on his line.

Under no circumstances should Sprint release the phone from the line it's currently tied to without the authorization of the owner of that account.

The only hope the OP has, I think, is if the guy who still has the 4S on his account replaces it with another phone. That should release the 4S automatically and make it able to be activated on another account (assuming the phone has a clean ESN).
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
This is why you need to meet the seller at a Sprint/Verizon corporate store when you're buying CDMA iPhones on Craigslist (which all Sprint/Verizon phones are.) If the seller won't meet at a carrier corporate store to do the transfer, I would assume the phone is stolen or their account is not in good standing and therefore the carrier won't activate the phone on a different line (bad ESN).

Unless Craigslist offers you some form of buyer protection (which I don't think they do), I think you're out the cash you paid for the phone. Sorry. It's a life lesson you likely will only need to learn once.
Buyer is supposed to protect himself, which the OP did not do. He made the mistake of trusting the buyer. All he had to do was take the imei and call sprint and they would have let him know if the phone was ok or not.
617aircav is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I don't think you can ever say "no happy with CL."

All you can say is, I made out , or I lost.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

You're out of luck. Only thing you can do now is sell it on eBay and use the money towards an iPhone with a clean ESN.
CEmajr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
You're out of luck. Only thing you can do now is sell it on eBay and use the money towards an iPhone with a clean ESN.
Doesn't this just pass the problem on to another clueless individual?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Demonface
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Yes , It does but you can seel it for parts , but sell it for about 200.00 -350.00 if the phone is in overall good - excellent condition. But the OP will have to make it clear in the ebay listing . So if someone who buys it tries to say that its not what they bought you would have proof cause you told them everything through the listing.
Demonface is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:17 PM   #11
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Yep. My bad esn att iPhone 5 went for $500
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:48 PM   #12
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
No you list it as bad esn on the listing. Some people buy them to flash to other CDMA networks or to sell overseas. Some use them as iPod touches.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Take it as a lesson learned and do your homework next time before you trust any random person on CL.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:57 AM   #14
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Try them....

http://atfdl.com/store/iphone-4s-unlock/#.UVkvrxG9KSM

From the drop down list, choose " clean bad Sprint ESN "
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Can't believe you didn't check out the ESN when buying off CL!

Ugh.
Han Solo 1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:13 AM   #16
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Can't believe you didn't check out the ESN when buying off CL!

Ugh.
Hey take it easy on the guy, obviously he didn't know anything about a ESN let alone checking it, and well now he does. He learned a $$ lesson.
RenoG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Hey take it easy on the guy, obviously he didn't know anything about a ESN let alone checking it, and well now he does. He learned a $$ lesson.
That's true, poor guy.
Han Solo 1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #18
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
poor guy.
Yeah, sad to say I too made a ignorant purchase before and was out of some money (my own fault) for not researching the item and knowing what to look for. Its what happens sometimes when you're excited about about something and you want it like yesterday.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:

Sadly, I have to agree. It is a tough break OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

If I were the OP, I'd probably try selling it on eBay to an overseas buyer. Bad ESN's don't matter over there. I'm just not sure if a Sprint phone would work on European networks?

--------------

Also, why can't the OP simply go to a Sprint store and see if that phone has been reported stolen or is frozen due to non-payment? If it simply hasn't been released yet or whatever, couldn't they get a hold of the previous owner and ask him? His new phone number is probably in the system, if he has stayed with Sprint.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #21
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

The link I posted should resolve the issue for $85 .... Costly, but at least you'll be able to use the device!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:32 PM   #22
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Just resell it on Craigslist and someone might buy it and flash it to metro pcs
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:26 PM   #23
darky90
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Yep. My bad esn att iPhone 5 went for $500
wow nice. Well if Sprint is unable to help, always a nice option to sell it for parts. Looks like you can get a pretty good profit to go towards a new phone.
darky90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:48 PM   #24
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Do you still have the guy's email address, or any other way to contact him other than his phone number? I remember a few years back when I sold my old Palm Pre on Sprint, the guy I sold it to couldn't activate it because I was in the middle of cancelling my Sprint contract and porting to another carrier. Sprint didn't "release" the phone off my account until I had paid my final ETF.

If you can't get a hold of him, maybe it's because he's cancelled his Sprint account too, and they're just waiting for the funds to clear his bank and pay off his bill. Just a thought, and good luck!
eyespii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Right on the DOT !

----------

How much did you pay for this if you don't mind sharing ? (Be honest)
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone