Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BASRPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Central Illinois
What app does everyone suggest for word processing ? I usually write short documents of 1 or 2 pages at the most. I thought about Pages, but most of the comments in the App Store were pretty negative. Is there a Microsoft Word for an IPad ? Would it work with ICloud? I would like to type something at work and be able to open it at home or visa-versa. Any suggestions?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I use iWorks (Pages, Numbers & Keynotes). With iCloud I am able to write my papers and have it seemingly on my Mac.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Documents to Go is fine. No iCloud integration but it works with DropBox, Box, Googledocs etc. (in the premium version). There's also a free desktop app (Mac/PC) that allowing syncing between your iPad an computer - I don't use it so I can't say whether it is any good or not.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I use pages. It has great features but it doesn't have a search feature. So my 200+ documents are hard to find in a hurry. I hate that during meetings.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
You should be more specific about what you are writing.

Pages is great for text documents and those with simple graphics and charts. The layout mode of the OS X version is not supported on the iPad. As mentioned above Pages is tightly integrated with iCloud so your document changes are quickly reflected on both platforms.

Beyond that there is a blizzard of other apps all with features that go beyond simple text input. Some offer neat ways to integrate audio with text. Others (ProjectBook) provide nice ways to use folders and searching. Almost all offer ways to draw by hand as well as type and nearly all offer some sort of integration with Dropbox. Many can export PDF files. Evernote is highly regarded but might require a monthly fee depending on your usage. As you will see from the responses everyone has a favorite which makes sense. After trying out several most people find one that fits them best.

It will help your search to look at these on the app store then figure out what you really want.

Word is not available on the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.