Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbsmithjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
DESPERATE iphone 5 backup missing in iCloud

Greetings,
Just returned from family vacation sunday. Monday morning, accidentally deleted photos from iphone 5 (latest updates installed). When I realized this, I plugged into iTunes, and under the Restore button, it said, last backup for icloud, Sunday 9pm.

But when I click on Restore Backup, the only option it gives me is a backup from 1.5weeks ago?

How can I get the backup from last night, which should have my photos?

Many thanks,
Steve

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Your photos would be saved in Photo Stream not iCloud.

You could try a 3rd party app like iExplorer to see if you can salvage any photos.

sbsmithjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013

You could try a 3rd party app like iExplorer to see if you can salvage any photos.

Thank you, but I did not have Photostream turned on. But, I've restored in the past from backup, and my photos did come back.

Steve

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
You don't restore from a backup in icloud via itunes, you have to wipe the phone and then it will ask when you start the phone if you want to backup from icloud (don't connect the phone to your PC/Mac)

sbsmithjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
You don't restore from a backup in icloud via itunes, you have to wipe the phone and then it will ask when you start the phone if you want to backup from icloud (don't connect the phone to your PC/Mac)

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of this, but when I wipe the phone the only options for restore is the one from 1.5 weeks ago.

But it very clearly says the last backup was at 9pm last night??

Steve

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

Yes the photos would be in iCloud. If you have it turned on to backup the camera roll (default) then all the pictures and videos will be there when you restore your phone.

sbsmithjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Yes the photos would be in iCloud. If you have it turned on to backup the camera roll (default) then all the pictures and videos will be there when you restore your phone.

Thanks you, but I didn't have Photo stream turned on. The last time I did a restore, thought, maybe 8 months ago, it did return my photos.

The issue is that I can't seem to get that backup from 9pm last night to appear????

Thanks,
Stephen

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks you, but I didn't have Photo stream turned on. The last time I did a restore, thought, maybe 8 months ago, it did return my photos.

The issue is that I can't seem to get that backup from 9pm last night to appear????

Thanks,
Stephen

Photo stream is not needed for the photos to be backed up as part of the backup. Unfortunately I don't have any help for your specific issue. I might be misunderstanding what is happening though.
If your phone is telling you when it was last backed up that is an iCloud backup. You can go in to your iCloud settings on your phone to see what backups are stored there. That backup would not be on your computer, and your computer would only show the most recent backup directly to it (you plugged into your computer and hit backup in iTunes).
When you reset a phone you will be given the option to restore one of your iCloud backups. That does not require connecting to a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.