Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keenupie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
Guys,

Do help, planning to sign onto one of the services, any pointers on which is better pros and cons?

I use a Macbook Pro and a Iphone 5 and have about 45 GB of photos, and have no plans to sell.

Regards,

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Is your intended use only to store your images on said sites? If so, then Photobucket Pro would probably be a better option for you.

I have a Flickr Pro subscription, but I don't really sell my images. Rather, I use the subscription to upload my DSLR images to the site for my friends, family, fellow photographers and contacts to see. Without a limit to how many images I can upload in a month.

I have always see Photobucket purely as a photo storing web site. I honestly don't really use my account at all anymore. But again, if your primary use is to just store your images, then Photobucket might be your best bet.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
Photobucket has recently upgraded their hosting site that a lot of their users hate. A lot of their previous features is still missing.

Both sites have free accounts that you could try for yourself.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I would also recommend you take a look at 500px and SmugMug. Both are excellent services and both have free trials. 500px is a bit cheaper.

Keenupie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Washington DC
nburwell,

Thanks, perhaps I forgot to add, along with storage I also want a nice easy to share site, but also something with a simple interface where suddenly an album should not become a public album. I sort of dislike Picasa for that reason.

Thanks

Is your intended use only to store your images on said sites? If so, then Photobucket Pro would probably be a better option for you.

Elber C, Thanks for that note, I think then I will stick to Flickr, or maybe like you suggested try both for free and decide.

Photobucket has recently upgraded their hosting site that a lot of their users hate. A lot of their previous features is still missing.

rocknblogger,

Will take a look at 500px today, and SumgMug, thanks again. Also would anyone recommend an alternative to iPhoto? I don't like how it organizes the pictures, maybe I need to play around more but any better options?

I would also recommend you take a look at 500px and SmugMug. Both are excellent services and both have free trials. 500px is a bit cheaper.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
iPhoto is a very basic photo handler designed for ease of use. If you want something more then the next step up would be Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both are very good and give nice tools to work with. If you want more editing and less "organization" then take a look at Photoshop Elements. An excellent alternative to full blown Photoshop but with a very good subset of Photoshop tools.

I know that Lightroom and Elements both have free trials. I know Aperture used to but since going to the App Store I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.