Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Feedly Updated with Improved Search and New 'Must Read' Section

With Google shutting down its RSS aggregation platform Google Reader in July, several companies have pledged to build a better reader, with existing news aggregator Feedly among them.

Soon after the shutdown announcement, Feedly revealed that it had developed a clone of the Google Reader API called Normandy, which got it instant attention from former Google Reader users. Less than a month later, Feedly has garnered more than three million new users, prompting the company to release a significant update to its iOS app.

Version 14 of Feedly for iOS offers a new feed search engine with a search algorithm designed to help users find unique content.
Quote:
The smart topic completion feature enables a truly intuitive search and discovery experience. The new search algorithm leverages millions of interactions from the Feedly community, helping you find the best feeds on the web. There are already millions of people using Feedly, and more and more joining every day. The more you use Feedly to search, categorize and follow your favorite feeds, the better our search and discovery will become.
A "Must Read" section allows users to aggregate their most read feeds in one easy to access spot, pull to refresh has been added, and a new title only view makes headline scanning quicker. Here's a full list of the updates:
Quote:
-Fixes random logout bug, and many other smaller issues?-New Feed Search and Discovery.
-New Title Only View. More controls over layouts.
-Enhanced Sharing & Save for Later
-New "Must Read" Section to easily organize the feeds you don't want to miss
-Customize Favorite Sharing Tool to G+, Buffer, Twitter, Facebook, Email or browser
-Customize Favorite Save for Later Tool to Pocket
-Mark as read card at the end of each sections
-Pull to refresh in the home selector
Feedly is a free universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Feedly Updated with Improved Search and New 'Must Read' Section
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
PBF
macrumors 68030

Version 14 made all the difference.

All I can say: thank you for the option to sort by oldest.

Stupid Flipboard.
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
macrumors 65816

Yes, I switched from Reeder to Feedly once google made the announcement since I didn't hear anything back from the Reeder developer about future plans. I tried a few readers, but I liked Feedly a lot compared to others like flipboard. I still like Reeder and both Reeder and Feedly have tons of good features. Still slightly prefer Reeder (especially since they also have a desktop app) - but this is probably mainly because I am so used to Reeder.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4
PBF
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
Yes, I switched from Reeder to Feedly once google made the announcement since I didn't hear anything back from the Reeder developer about future plans. I tried a few readers, but I liked Feedly a lot compared to others like flipboard. I still like Reeder and both Reeder and Feedly have tons of good features. Still slightly prefer Reeder (especially since they also have a desktop app) - but this is probably mainly because I am so used to Reeder.
Reeder made it official that Feedbin will be the first service to get support. More services will be supported down the road.

PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
musio
macrumors 68000

how about a desktop version?
musio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

After using Feedly for a bit it seems as though it ONLY works with a Google Reader account. So what happens when Google Reader goes away?
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:34 AM   #7
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
After using Feedly for a bit it seems as though it ONLY works with a Google Reader account. So what happens when Google Reader goes away?
Well that was their whole point. They have built a backend to take over the feeds once Google goes down. I image there will be some others stepping up with solutions since the shutdown is a few months away yet. Feedly does look very good. The main thing is that you can't add feeds from ios but then most google reader clients required going into google reader to manipulate feeds. Google reader was a nasty looking piece of code, hence all of the 3rd party solutions for clients.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:01 PM   #8
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Feedly is simply great. Better than Flipboard, in my opinion.
lars666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Just switched to Feedly from Google Reader. So far, its ok. Takes some getting use to.Not sure if this will be my GO TO RSS app/reader though

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion