Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Check this out. We were in the US visiting when the t989 came out. We got 2, myself and the wife. This was either october or november 2011.

In January 2012 I was, er, down in front of the small "local" pronounced lo-call (store) having some "refreshments" with los muchachos. I lost my phone in the process and have never lived it down with the wife.

Fast forward to today. My sister in law was hand cutting grass between the brick fence and dirt road (we live in a small pueblo in a family "compound") and she found it there in the grass. The amazing part is that I pushed the button and it turned on (it was off). The low power warning came on but it still works like it did. We live at an altitude of 9000 ft above sea level and it rains very hard here. I am amazed that it started right up.

I also paid 125.00 and got a replacement back then.

I know it's hard to believe, I hardly believe it myself.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have the Skyrocket version. Which is the same as yours, but has LTE. It's built very well. I think the fact that there is two main pieces of plastic at the back really made the difference. There's a lot of protection since even if water had gotten through, it wouldn't hurt the internals. There's 9 screws, and then you have to undo the clips.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If the battery was completely drained, and it fell in a shady area, it really isn't hard to believe it would still work. What damages electronics when they get wet isn't the water, it's the short that the water causes. However, if there is no charge then there won't be a short.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Like I said, the battery was not dead. It started right up with the same battery in it after all that time. It did give the low battery warning immediately though. It also wasn't in the shade except for grass around it. It was between a brick wall and the dirt road (well rocky dirt road) in the middle of about a meter space. The phone WAS turned off.

It's actually the impurities in water that causes a short.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Posted on April 1st...

skeptical house.jpg

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I'm with skeptical house, I mean the beating it would take from the sun and the rain if it still had a charge for over a year. Truly amazing if true.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I'm just posting what happened, it doesn't matter to me if nobody believes it. I have grandkids, I'm at a point in my life where I don't feel I have anything to prove. Just posted it because I thought it was amazing, otherwise I would not have said anything. It was really dirty, but fired right up.

The sun is hot here at this altitude, but it rarely hits 80. It does get below freezing in the mornings a significant part of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.