Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
So my Galaxy S3 is giving me problems. The SIM card slot isn't contacting the SIM card properly. Verizon will replace the phone under warranty, but I might use this opportunity to try something new.

I have to use a Sideio 3500 mAh extended battery for the S3 just to get through my normal day (I suppose I'm a heavy user). It makes the S3 pretty darn bulky and awkward.

Should I give the Droid Razr Maxx HD a whirl or do you think there will be something in the next 1-2 months that will have similar battery life?

I'm going to presume that the S4 will have slightly better life than the S3, but certainly not equivalent to the Maxx HD. The Note 2 reportedly has very good battery life - still not quite the Maxx HD level, but it's also a very, very large device and I think it's too big for my tastes. The Note 3 is rumored to be even larger.

I'm uncertain as to the battery life of the HTC One, though at this point we still don't know if Verizon will carry it (and I wont change carriers).

I tend to keep phones less than a year anyway, so I'm not crushed by not buying the absolute latest model.

Thoughts?

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I'm curious to see what the Google - Motorola X Phone will give with respect to battery life. The Razr Maxx 3 is probably six months out.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Note 2 ftw. Get an aftermarket 4200mAh battery that fits in the stock enclosure and you're good to go. I get amazing battery life on mine

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yeah, don't want to wait 6 months.

I'd say at least wait til Google I/O if you can hold out that long. Otherwise if battery is most important, go for a MAXX HD. And know going into it that you are essentially buying an outdated phone (minus the battery life).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Note 2 ftw. Get an aftermarket 4200mAh battery that fits in the stock enclosure and you're good to go. I get amazing battery life on mine

They make a 4200 mah battery without making the phone thicker? Awesome. Bet it lasts almost forever.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
They make a 4200 mah battery without making the phone thicker? Awesome. Bet it lasts almost forever.

Be wary of some of these aftermarket batteries. Sometimes they don't always have the mAh they claim. I remember buying a Seido for my Inspire 4G that claimed to have extra oompf and it turned out to be the same size as the stock HTC.

There are numerous battery checker apps in the market that can verify this.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I'd say at least wait til Google I/O if you can hold out that long. Otherwise if battery is most important, go for a MAXX HD. And know going into it that you are essentially buying an outdated phone (minus the battery life).

What I'm expecting at Google IO is an unveiling of the next version of Android and perhaps the next Nexus phone. And if the next Nexus is announced, it'll be most likely a month before it's available - and even then may not be available on my preferred carrier (Verizon).

So, it's basically two months with low likelihood that whatever is announced will be available to me on Verizon. Thus the reasoning for my leaning towards the Maxx HD.

Of course, if I don't buy anything, this is how it'll play out. If I DO buy the Maxx HD, something better will come out exactly 1 week past the refund expiration date.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What I'm expecting at Google IO is an unveiling of the next version of Android and perhaps the next Nexus phone. And if the next Nexus is announced, it'll be most likely a month before it's available - and even then may not be available on my preferred carrier (Verizon).

So, it's basically two months with low likelihood that whatever is announced will be available to me on Verizon. Thus the reasoning for my leaning towards the Maxx HD.

Of course, if I don't buy anything, this is how it'll play out. If I DO buy the Maxx HD, something better will come out exactly 1 week past the refund expiration date.

To be honest you've already made quite decent argument that the real important aspects for a phone for you and why the razr maxx would fulfil that need. So does it matter what's coming out in a few months time, if what you actually need to give you a decent phone with great battery life is available right now. Will another phone suddenly make your razr obsolete ? Not if it's doing everything you ask of it.

Yes you could wait for a Note 2 or S4 or Nexus 5 - but what if despite their impressive hardware they still don't offer the battery life you are craving, you'll still be no better off.

If the Razr Maxx HD isn't costing a huge amount (assuming you can sell/trade off your S3) then go for it. If in 6 months something bigger / better / longer lasting ( co-incidentlally what every woman wants in a man :p ) comes out - then take the little knock and sell off your Razr and buy the new one if you really desire it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
^^ You're quite right. I've basically already made my decision as best researched as I could. I just wanted to see if someone had something brilliant to say that I hadn't considered.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Get a Galaxy Note it gets great battery life.

Thought about it, but I think the size is just too big for me. And is the battery life really equivalent? The battery is (a bit) smaller and the screen is significantly larger.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

Haha no kidding.

Well then I would say go for the Maxx HD. It is still a pretty decent phone.

And in relation to a phone on your carrier, the rumored Google X Phone would be a carrier phone, not a developers phone like the Nexus. Meaning it is much more likely that the X Phone could land on Verizon sometime after it is announced. But then you are still playing the waiting game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.