Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
wonny1o9
macrumors newbie

Angry Screen damaged on its own. Macbook Air (Late 2010)

I rarely use my friend's Macbook Air 13', but today when I opened it for the first time in days, the left side of the screen showed some issues. The screen was slightly tearing and would flicker annoyingly whenever I scrolled. I left it alone and put the computer to sleep, only to find that the issue grew bigger as seen in the photo.

The machine was not physically harmed. I did not drop it, pour water on it, or applied pressure. Nothing. It was completely fine the last time I used it and this happened for no reason whatsoever. I did perform a SMC reset because the machine was being annoyingly loud with its fan as it always has. Anything I did with this machine was routine and should not have contributed to the monitor.

Could anyone give me a solution to this problem? Please don't tell me to go to the Apple Bar or send it for repairs. Repairs are unreasonably overpriced and my warranty is long expired. Google told me that this is potentially a GPU glitch and that Apple has yet to find a solution for it. Please let me know. Thank you.

EDIT: My bad, I totally forgot that I cleaned my Macbook Air with a damp paper towel with Windex, and some of it might have seeped through the keyboards. Thank you, calvol!

Last edited by wonny1o9; Apr 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Solved Problem
wonny1o9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
wadek
macrumors newbie

I had something similar the past few weeks where the right half of the screen was broken into equal vertical columns of black, snow, and vertical flashing lines. Looked pretty similar to your picture. I went to Genius Bar since it was still under AppleCare, and they did a screen replacement, and so far, so good (fingers crossed). Not sure if there's a simpler fix than that. Mine is a Late 2010 11".
wadek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
calvol
macrumors 6502a

Something similar happend to me with a 2010 Air, but it resolved itself over a few days. What happened was, I cleaned the screen and keyboard with a damp paper towel, and I believe what happened was, it was too wet, and a little water seeped into the base of the screen at the bottom. The screen showed some anomalies in vertical segments similar to what your screen is showing, although not that severe. It appeared to be a shimmering effect, in those distinct vertical segments. I was worried it was a graphics issue, but it resolved itself after drying out. Perhaps you were cleaning your machine as well, and had too much fluid on the cloth?
calvol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonny1o9 View Post
Google told me that this is potentially a GPU glitch and that Apple has yet to find a solution for it.

If Apple officially owned up to this problem then they will make u whole. If you just heard this from the grapevine, that's all there is, hear-say.

I would disassemble the unit, vacuum, re-seat connectors, specially the mobo-to-LCD and pray. While am in there I may replace the fan if not too expensive and re-paste the cpu+gpu heatsinks.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
tweaks
macrumors regular

seen them all the time when i worked the bar. Replace your video cable. You can probably find them on eBay.

Edit: It was quite sometime ago. If I remember correctly everything is integrated. That would be a LCD replacement.

I would do a flat rate depot repair.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
wonny1o9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Something similar happend to me with a 2010 Air, but it resolved itself over a few days. What happened was, I cleaned the screen and keyboard with a damp paper towel, and I believe what happened was, it was too wet, and a little water seeped into the base of the screen at the bottom. The screen showed some anomalies in vertical segments similar to what your screen is showing, although not that severe. It appeared to be a shimmering effect, in those distinct vertical segments. I was worried it was a graphics issue, but it resolved itself after drying out. Perhaps you were cleaning your machine as well, and had too much fluid on the cloth?
Oh my god, you're totally right. I had no idea that a damp paper towel could have caused this (I'm used to spraying Windex directly on my Macbook Pro, and nothing like this ever happened).

Thank you so much, and now I don't have to explain to my friend why her Macbook Air is messed up.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Oh my god, you're totally right. I had no idea that a damp paper towel could have caused this (I'm used to spraying Windex directly on my Macbook Pro, and nothing like this ever happened).

Thank you so much, and now I don't have to explain to my friend why her Macbook Air is messed up.
Well, ay least you learned a valuable lesson today, do not ever spray fluids on Electronic Devices, especially friends.

Glad for you it is solved though, it would have costed you an arm and a leg to repair.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:46 AM   #8
wonny1o9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Well, ay least you learned a valuable lesson today, do not ever spray fluids on Electronic Devices, especially friends.

Glad for you it is solved though, it would have costed you an arm and a leg to repair.
Haha yes for sure. I'm just shocked at how vulnerable Macbook Air's are. I got used to spraying Windex directly on my Macbook Pro (2009) and I've had no problems at all with it.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:06 AM   #9
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Haha yes for sure. I'm just shocked at how vulnerable Macbook Air's are. I got used to spraying Windex directly on my Macbook Pro (2009) and I've had no problems at all with it.
It has nothing to do with the MBA being 'vulnerable'. That's why they make wipes specifically for electronic devices. Paper towels can also scratch the screen, but if people insist on using them, they should be damp, not wet. Liquid should not drip from the towel when compressed.
TC25 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:24 AM   #10
calvol
macrumors 6502a

When this happened to my 2010 Air, I was using a water/soap mixture on a small 2x2" square paper towel, and evidently there was enough water to seep thru the bottom of the screen and affect the connector. Anyway, learned my lesson when using a damp paper towel, i.e. to wring out the excess water completely! Hopefully, yours will dry out soon Wonny!
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:55 AM   #11
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
I'm used to spraying Windex directly on my Macbook Pro
Apple's cleaning instruction specifically tells you NOT to do that.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Apple's cleaning instruction specifically tells you NOT to do that.
You would think not spraying liquid on a screen and letting it run down into the insides of the monitor/laptop would be common sense.

Maybe this could be included in the next Jackass movie.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #13
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

This original post was amazingly interesting - "screen damaged on it's own", lots of text, a pic of the misbehaving screen, and then at the VERY bottom, an added note that it didn't go haywire on it's own.
TheRealDamager is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:09 PM   #14
JHUFrank
macrumors Demi-God

Wow, just wow...
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Poindexter333
macrumors member

Yikes. I better get mine out of the dishwasher. I heard they were upper-rack safe.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
StockDC2
macrumors regular

Quote:

Looks like you'll just have to buy her a new one instead .
StockDC2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air