Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo375wide.jpg
AT&T said today that it will begin supporting the iPhone 5's wideband audio -- or 'HD Voice' -- feature later this year, reports All Things D.

The technology provides for significantly better call quality, when the network and both devices support it. T-Mobile said it will be supporting it at launch on the iPhone 5, with AT&T the second U.S. carrier promising to support HD Voice.
Speaking on Monday, AT&T senior VP Kris Rinne said that the carrier will roll-out its own support for the technology later this year as it begins to route voice calling over its LTE network.

"HD Voice is part of our voice over LTE strategy," Rinne said, speaking at the VentureBeat Mobile Summit in Sausalito, Calif.
schiller_wideband_audio_2.jpg
When Gizmodo tested the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile at that carrier's launch event, it reported that HD Voice call quality was "a bit richer, and definitely fuller... a noticeable improvement." All Things D mentioned that Sprint was considering implementation of HD Voice at some point in the future as well.

(Image from The Verge)

Article Link: AT&T Will Roll Out 'HD Voice' Support Later This Year

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
AT&T later retracted, "April Fools! Who are we kidding? We can't even do low definition voice."

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
About time! I have been waiting years to dump my gf on HD voice...or order a pizza...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
"Only available to customers on a shared data plan. Those that are not on a shared data plan can add the feature for $9.99 a month per line."

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Get crystal clear HD voice on your current iPhone using your existing plan minutes..for only $19.95 per month.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Voice quality, of course, has been a sore spot for AT&T in recent years, though Rinne insists that past issues with dropped calls and other issues are largely over.
“I think we’ve taken that off the table in terms of a competitive challenge,” Rinne said.

Who the heck do they think they're kidding with this statement?

It is April Fools day, maybe they thought they'd give that a whirl...

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
So basically everybody is looking into this except Verizon... shocker.
I'm beginning to wonder if we should ditch those ******s at verizon, I can't walk into one of their stores and say the word iPhone without hearing a bunch of android-commisioned sales people gasp in horror.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
woohoo...a higher bitrate call...even better for GSM that by nature of GSM itself is a non-variable bitrate technology which results in MORE dropped calls as the signal chokes on low signal and drops

how annoying is it during HD Radio when it goes in and out of HD signal. imagine what a phone call would be like....no thanks

it's hard to care about HD voice quality when they have other more obvious issues to address with their network.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
In other words, "Tmobile has nothing on us".

Doubt they will have it out before end of 2013.

dc5trust

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
all of sudden at&t is interest in HD voice ...

Something tells me that T mobile really sparked a nerve.

Hopefully they will also consider dropping their contracts too

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Sounds like AT&T is doing a "Ooh, look at us! We're doing HD Voice, too!" They've had the iPhone 5 for 6 months and never revealed that they were implementing this. Now that T-mobile will support HD Voice, suddenly AT&T says they are going to do the same.

And I bet this will only be available to tiered-plan subscribers.

Zcev5454

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
AT&T probably had this ready long ago, they just waited for some competition to come along. It should have debuted with the iPhone 5.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
On Three here in the UK.

Regularly phone boyfriend on his iPhone 5 with HD Voice from my iPhone 5.

I noticed the better call quality, but I would seriously advise putting this way down your list in deciding factors when choosing a provider. Its just the progressive march of technology.

aheying7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Will this be compatible with all GSM iPhone 5's? Because isn't Tmobile getting a new iPhone to support this feature?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.