Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
That is the current ongoing price. However, remember the DCMA ruling on unlocking phones bought after January 24.

I figured the dmca laws are the reason ebay is taking action. My iPhone 4S is 2 years old and doesn't count under the law since its not manufactured after 1/26/2013

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Unlocked a phone using eBay on Friday. They are all over eBay.

I saw unlocks on there too but every account that I've used before had been deleted. Most unlocks are being done in India. I just want a supplier I can continue to use and know they're reliable.

----------

I wouldnt trust a user as that.

Why do you say that? it seems legit to me and uses PayPal so it's secure. Also I know iPhoneTy's youtube channel. He helped me unlock a sprint 4S before. Lol

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
There is a site that most people on MacRumors use and recomend that only costs $1.99. They unlocked my 4S which was only two weeks old in February in about a day. Anyone else charges more just to make more profit.

swiftunlocks.com.

I have heard nothing but good things from Swiftunlock.com. Their prices are amazing, and the service is very quick. I have personally used them for a few devices, and have also used them for unlocking several customers' phones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There is a site that most people on MacRumors use and recomend that only costs $1.99. They unlocked my 4S which was only two weeks old in February in about a day. Anyone else charges more just to make more profit.

swiftunlocks.com.

Swift unlocks is the best.
The rest of the sites just charge more to make a profit and submit your imei with Swiftunlocks.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Do those laws even apply? I believe the law that bans unlocking is part of the DMCA, which regulates hacking of the phone. You're not hacking the phone to do this; in fact a legitimate unlock request is being sent to Apple, which they are honoring (for whatever reason!)

I don't see how this violates the DMCA in any way. When I did mine I didn't even have to install anything on my phone. I just restored it and it was legitimately factory-unlocked.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
However, remember the DCMA ruling on unlocking phones bought after January 24.

I'm not so sure the DMCA applies in this case. It definitely applies if you're jailbreaking to unlock. But this is an unlock based on a carrier whitelist, which isn't banned by the DMCA.

(How these vendors get your IMEI on the carrier whitelist is something none of us truly know, so we can only "trust" that the procedures they use are on the up and up).

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
That is the current ongoing price. However, remember the DCMA ruling on unlocking phones bought after January 24.

Yes the the library of congress is proposing to make it illegal, however obama has said he is onthe side of customers, and no actual law has been written, nor has obama enacted any actual laws.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
if your 4S is 2 years old then it would be out of contract. why pay for an unlock when all you have to do is submit your imei to AT&T either through their website or over the phone and its free.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes the the library of congress is proposing to make it illegal, however obama has said he is onthe side of customers, and no actual law has been written, nor has obama enacted any actual laws.

Actually, there HAS been a law written that expressly forbids hack-based unlocks... it's called the DMCA.

What happened was, a few years back, the Library of Congress made an exemption for unlocking phones, effectively making it harder for carriers to sue people for it. By the way, an exemption by the Library of Congress isn't a law, nor does it negate or change the law... it's just a legal opinion on the federal level. The DMCA is still in effect, but it the LoC's opinion DOES give you something to point at if you get hauled into court for a DMCA violation, that the courts are more likely to pay attention to.

Because of this, it's generally assumed that if the LoC makes a DMCA exemption, then it's highly unlikely you'll get brought to court in the first place. No guarantees, though.

But, that's all moot now. This past year, the Library of Congress reversed their stance on hack-based unlocks, claiming that there are more options for consumers now. This removed the exemption.

There's no "proposing" about this. Hack-based unlocking is illegal. Right now. And there is no valid legal opinion anymore to point to as a defense.

What this translates to for most users isn't clear though. The common thinking is the Average Joe who jailbreaks his one iPhone, or roots his one Droid, probably won't be hounded by the carrier's lawyers because it would be too much hassle. But like the LoC exemption, there's no guarantees... a carrier might decide someday to turn into a legal troll and start unleashing lawyers on anyone they think unlocked a phone. It all depends on whether they think it's worth the money they'd spend.

But, if you're making a business out of jailbreaking/rooting smartphones to unlock hundreds/thousands/millions of them for cash, AT&T is a lot more likely to serve you some papers and use the DMCA against you, because it will be more worthwhile for them.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
if your 4S is 2 years old then it would be out of contract. why pay for an unlock when all you have to do is submit your imei to AT&T either through their website or over the phone and its free.

I too thought once out of the 2-year contract ATT will unlock for free.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Swift unlocks is the best.
The rest of the sites just charge more to make a profit and submit your imei with Swiftunlocks.

I just did it for my iphone 5 that's a month old. took a few hours and all is good. going to take about as long to restore it though.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Actually, there HAS been a law written that expressly forbids hack-based unlocks... it's called the DMCA.

What happened was, a few years back, the Library of Congress made an exemption for unlocking phones, effectively making it harder for carriers to sue people for it. By the way, an exemption by the Library of Congress isn't a law, nor does it negate or change the law... it's just a legal opinion on the federal level. The DMCA is still in effect, but it the LoC's opinion DOES give you something to point at if you get hauled into court for a DMCA violation, that the courts are more likely to pay attention to.

Because of this, it's generally assumed that if the LoC makes a DMCA exemption, then it's highly unlikely you'll get brought to court in the first place. No guarantees, though.

But, that's all moot now. This past year, the Library of Congress reversed their stance on hack-based unlocks, claiming that there are more options for consumers now. This removed the exemption.

There's no "proposing" about this. Hack-based unlocking is illegal. Right now. And there is no valid legal opinion anymore to point to as a defense.

What this translates to for most users isn't clear though. The common thinking is the Average Joe who jailbreaks his one iPhone, or roots his one Droid, probably won't be hounded by the carrier's lawyers because it would be too much hassle. But like the LoC exemption, there's no guarantees... a carrier might decide someday to turn into a legal troll and start unleashing lawyers on anyone they think unlocked a phone. It all depends on whether they think it's worth the money they'd spend.

But, if you're making a business out of jailbreaking/rooting smartphones to unlock hundreds/thousands/millions of them for cash, AT&T is a lot more likely to serve you some papers and use the DMCA against you, because it will be more worthwhile for them.

as of today there is no valid unlocking process its all done by imei submission, which only carriers have permission to do.

----------

Please reply back with statue number. thnx

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

But anything bought prior to that date is eligible correct? I have 2 IP5's bought on release date? and I plan on going out of the US for vacation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.