Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
EDIT: sorry i posted bad info below that i received from online chat 3 or 4 days ago concerning whether drives were included. i had another chat a few minutes ago indicating 2 drives are in fact included and i think i will buy!,,

Never even owned one but in my unhumbled opinion Lacie is guilty (with McMall as a co-consipirator) of something that does not pass the smell test for me.

Evidence::

exhibit 1: http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab

1. They partner with McMall in order to sell overpriced MAC accessories etc to the unimformed.

2. "LaCie 2TB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt - Refurbished (9000107-R)"
Most reputable companies do not try to imply "2TB" of storage are included as Lacies main description does. The accurate term would be "diskless"

If you will dig DEEP enough into the fine print you will find this ambiguous line buried "
"Opt for the hard disk version and get up to 2TB storage capacity per unit (up to 240GB with SSD version). "

3. Check out these ambiguous answers when one attempts to inquire http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab#pdppdpQnA

4. Check out the BullS*** discount they are claiming to give you!!

Save 60%
$330
$219.99
List Price [?] $549.99
View Your Savings.

5. If LaCie's are worth a **** why does there seem to be and endless supply of "refurbs" available?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Never even owned one but in my unhumbled opinion Lacie is guilty (with McMall as a co-consipirator) of something that does not pass the smell test for me.

exhibit 1: http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab

1. They partner with McMall in order to sell overpriced MAC accessories etc to the unimformed.

Most reputable companies do not try to imply "2TB" of storage are included as Lacies main description does. The accurate term would be "diskless"

If you will dig DEEP enough into the fine print you will find this ambiguous line buried "
"Opt for the hard disk version and get up to 2TB storage capacity per unit (up to 240GB with SSD version). "

3. Check out these ambiguous answers when one attempts to inquire:

Code:
[/CODEhttp://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab#pdppdpQnA[/B]

4.  Check out the BullS*** discount they are claiming to give you!!

Save 60%
$330
$219.99
List Price [?] $549.99
View Your Savings.

5.  If LaCie's are worth a **** why does there seem to be and endless supply of "refurbs" available?[/QUOTE]

What is wrong with the link, Safari can not load the link!

Bold: What is this?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm not to good at pasting links did I fix it?

No.

Or, is it my browser, don't think so, have no problems with other sites.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.41.24.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.41.24.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 99

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Then it seems to be your browser, as I can open the two links from the OP and the one link from Hungry&Foolish quite fine in Safari 5.0.5.

Everything works except Macmall.com, does not work in 4 browsers, no Firewall, LS disabled.
Whatever.:p

Update: Even my iPhone can't connect to Macmall, must be Indonesian server!

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Same, no go.:confused:

FireFox, no go, must be something here I guess, even the base URL does not work.

I posted using chrome if it matters, but go to macMall and look at the
LaCie 2TB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt - Refurbished (9000107-R) and see if you disagree

----------

Or maybe I am just naive to hope there is such an animal as a 2tb refurbished thunderbolt external drive

Jiggly Billy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012

3. Check out these ambiguous answers when one attempts to inquire http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab#pdppdpQnA

4. Check out the BullS*** discount they are claiming to give you!!

Save 60%
$330
$219.99
List Price [?] $549.99
View Your Savings.

5. If LaCie's are worth a **** why does there seem to be and endless supply of "refurbs" available?

*MacMall BTW. This is an Apple reseller, not a McDonalds brand.

1:Overpriced items being sold to the uninformed masses? How did you come to this being a fact?

2: There is nothing hidden here. They say it's a 2TB drive, and that's what it is! It's not a diskless drive, it's got 2x 1TB drives in it, and they CLEARLY state that!

3: I'm seeing some very clear answers there, most with more than enough detail. Which one are you having a hard time understanding? I'd gladly clear it up for you.

4: Um. Those went for $549 back in the day, so they're not entirely inaccurate. Still $220 for a $439 drive? I'll take it!

5: Maybe because they sell a lot, and if a customer doesn't like it, they send it back and it's resold as a refurb because it's not new? Apple has tons of refurbs, are their products not worth a "****".

Any more questions?

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
*MacMall BTW. This is an Apple reseller, not a McDonalds brand.

1:Overpriced items being sold to the uninformed masses? How did you come to this being a fact?

2: There is nothing hidden here. They say it's a 2TB drive, and that's what it is! It's not a diskless drive, it's got 2x 1TB drives in it, and they CLEARLY state that!

3: I'm seeing some very clear answers there, most with more than enough detail. Which one are you having a hard time understanding? I'd gladly clear it up for you.

4: Um. Those went for $549 back in the day, so they're not entirely inaccurate. Still $220 for a $439 drive? I'll take it!

5: Maybe because they sell a lot, and if a customer doesn't like it, they send it back and it's resold as a refurb because it's not new? Apple has tons of refurbs, are their products not worth a "****".

Any more questions?

I take it all back, sorry, I had live chat with macmall 3 or 4 days ago and was told no drives were included. After your reply I had another online chat. Here is the transcript. As to your reply #5 above I figured they were being returned by customers who bought thinking drives were included.

Gerard: Hello. My name is Gerard and my extension is 27859. I’ll be happy to help you. Please give me a second to check on your question.
winston: http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9105217~pdp.hcjebab
Does the above come with any hard drives or is it disk less?
Ok
Gerard: 2 x1tb hard drive.
winston: I asked the same question the other day and was told it did not include any drives
Gerard: I apologize for the wrong info.
This has 2x1tb drives.
winston: Can you give me the specs on the drives please
Gerard: We do not have any information on the drives
as to what brand they are etc.
winston: Ok thanks for the info
Gerard: You're welcome.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Ann: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?
winston:
LaCie 2TB Little Big Disk Thunderbolt - Refurbished (9000107-R)
What is the warranty on the enclosure and the 2 drives?
Ann: Please give me a moment, I am still looking for the information you have requested for.
winston: U still there
Hello
Ann: For this refurb item you only have 90days warranty w/ manufacturer.
winston: So the included 2 drives are only 90 days also
Ann: yes
winston: Thanks

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Ordered one today, not sure why except that i have a mini with a Thunderbolt display and needed backup

I hope you like it. I have a LaCie Firewire drive and I'm very happy with it. I also have a LaCie NAS and it has crashed twice and lost my data twice. While I like LaCie peripherals, I will not buy another LaCie network drive. I now use Synology. They come without disks which is fine because if they ever break, I merely take out my disk(s) and return only the empty NAS cabinet for repair or replacement. My data never leaves my house.

I have a late 2011 MBP which still comes with FW ports (thank God). I use the TB port for my external vga monitor using a displayport to vga cable. Before I would consider any TB storage, I'd have to find a TB monitor that was reasonably priced. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll be able to make the jump but for now FW works just fine for me.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I hope you like it. I have a LaCie Firewire drive and I'm very happy with it. I also have a LaCie NAS and it has crashed twice and lost my data twice. While I like LaCie peripherals, I will not buy another LaCie network drive. I now use Synology. They come without disks which is fine because if they ever break, I merely take out my disk(s) and return only the empty NAS cabinet for repair or replacement. My data never leaves my house.

I have a late 2011 MBP which still comes with FW ports (thank God). I use the TB port for my external vga monitor using a displayport to vga cable. Before I would consider any TB storage, I'd have to find a TB monitor that was reasonably priced. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll be able to make the jump but for now FW works just fine for me.
I've been looking hard at synology myself because of the good things i hear about the software. Now i don't quite understand how i will use a synology with the TB Lacie?
I hope the lacie will allow me to replace the drives if need be?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've been looking hard at synology myself because of the good things i hear about the software. Now i don't quite understand how i will use a synology with the TB Lacie?
I hope the lacie will allow me to replace the drives if need be?

Drobo makes high end NAS and peripheral drives. Synology makes just NAS devices so there is no Synology product for your situation.

I have a Synology NAS drive which means it works over ethernet. There are a number of companies selling Thunderbolt drive cabinets and you put your own drive in. I recommend this approach as you get to keep your drive if something happens to the Thunderbolt box or NAS box.

Synology's "DSM" software in their NAS drives is really based on Linux. The CPU Synology uses are ARMs in their low end units (which also offer very low power consumption) and Intel in their high end units.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Seems like a good price for a thunderbolt drive which are generally expensive. I recently bought a 3TB WD otherwise I would pick this up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.