Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Yep dumb parent question. Will minecraft play ok on a 13" air?
I need my 15" MBPr back!!

phrk

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Germany
Which 13" Air are we talking about? The current generation or and older one?

I have a 13" MacBook Pro with Intel 3000 and Minecraft runs ok. You can't have fancy graphics and if you have far sight it really gets slow from time to time. Also the fans spin on max all the time.

It is probably better on Intel 4000, but I can't provide any informations on that ;)

Last edited:

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I have the base 2011 13" MBA (1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD).

Minecraft runs fine - one problem, the fans kick in full whack basically straight away.
I'd also advise getting an external harddrive or the 256GB SSD :)

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
Runs great on my 2012 13" Air, I do fancy graphics and far render distance. I get around 60fps most of the time but it can drop lower, never to unplayable framerates though. I haven't ever experienced my computer getting overly hot because of playing the game, but it does warm up and the fans do crank up pretty loud if you try to run it on the higher graphics settings. There are probably better computers to play Minecraft on, but the 2012 Air can certainly do the job.

(As an aside, I really don't recommend playing with the trackpad as your pointing device. I hope you're using an external mouse.)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'd assume it would (and also judging by the previous posts).

However, I wouldn't expect to run it on max settings with phenomenal graphics.

Minecraft on max settings is phenomenal to you in terms of graphics? :p

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Minecraft on max settings is phenomenal to you in terms of graphics? :p

I meant phenomenal in terms of max settings.

Even if they don't look to be the "best", there's still a lot that goes in behind that scenes to achieve such a game.

Considering the fact that the screen is redrawn 50 to 100 times PER second (and yes, all the shader and lighting calculations too), even a game that doesn't appear to have the best graphics can still be somewhat demanding.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I meant phenomenal in terms of max settings.

Even if they don't look to be the "best", there's still a lot that goes in behind that scenes to achieve such a game.

Considering the fact that the screen is redrawn 50 to 100 times PER second (and yes, all the shader and lighting calculations too), even a game that doesn't appear to have the best graphics can still be somewhat demanding.

I thought it was demanding because Java is a dog?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.