Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Bakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hello,
Because of the dry Eastern winds and the freezing cold, I have trouble with static Electricity.
Even when I am connected to ground bij a wire, my iMac crashes more than once with Panic messages and rapports to Apple.
But Apple does't responde.
I did notice in version 10.8.3 you can let your Apple slumber for a while.
I he is slumbering, which you can set by settings, and yoy hit a button, the iMac wakes up but crashes directly after that.
If you have a running application in Fusion, that is gone totally.

Does anybody else has the same problem with 10.8.3 ?
I did not have this problem with 10.7 as far as I know.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is the iMac located outside, NO, so it has no influence on it, and if you are talking of yourself being charged, you are not touching the iMac do you.

It's also in a metal faraday cage which means no static electricity nor waves could get into the Mac.
Even the screen has most likely a metal base behind the screen.

It seems to me you have other trouble, you could post a panic log or crash log for instance so we can see what is going on.

Fred Bakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Is the iMac located outside, NO, so it has no influence on it, and if you are talking of yourself being charged, you are not touching the iMac do you.

It's also in a metal faraday cage which means no static electricity nor waves could get into the Mac.
Even the screen has most likely a metal base behind the screen.

It seems to me you have other trouble, you could post a panic log or crash log for instance so we can see what is going on.
I would, but the machine says only that it send a rapport.
I will have a look at it, when it happening again.
I did change the settings of slumber into NEVER slumber and it seems to help.
Also the wheather has more moisture and I don't feel any satic electricity any more at the moment. I can have sparks of 1 to 7 cm's.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I would, but the machine says only that it send a rapport.
I will have a look at it, when it happening again.
I did change the settings of slumber into NEVER slumber and it seems to help.
Also the wheather has more moisture and I don't feel any satic electricity any more at the moment. I can have sparks of 1 to 7 cm's.

If it is you which is electrically charged there are ways to get rid of it, well, kind of, you could ware a Earthed wristband which aren't that expensive but annoying or a Mat which you place under your feet but then you need shoes which conduct this charge or a mat under the computer, mouse and keyboard which is grounded.

Fred Bakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
If it is you which is electrically charged there are ways to get rid of it, well, kind of, you could ware a Earthed wristband which aren't that expensive but annoying or a Mat which you place under your feet but then you need shoes which conduct this charge or a mat under the computer, mouse and keyboard which is grounded.

I have a kind of wristband, but now it is connected to the iron parts of the chair. Strange sideeffect is, that the barcode reader on the USB-port take notice of these charges by giving a "bliep" signal as it was reading a barcode.
My harddisk is set to no slumber at anytime and seems to help.
I heard some noise about the 1 TB harddisk which would give some problems and maybe this is the same problem.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a kind of wristband, but now it is connected to the iron parts of the chair. Strange sideeffect is, that the barcode reader on the USB-port take notice of these charges by giving a "bliep" signal as it was reading a barcode.
My harddisk is set to no slumber at anytime and seems to help.
I heard some noise about the 1 TB harddisk which would give some problems and maybe this is the same problem.

I think the easiest way to get rid of this static electricity is to gat a mat under all the devices on your Desk or whatever you use.

Like the one below.

http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/853474

793Stat-Desk-Guard.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.