Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...phone-expense-survey/articleshow/19344725.cms

Android, the free mobile operating system from Google, accounted for 51.2 percent of US smartphone sales in the three-month period ending in February, said the survey from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

Android added 5.9 percentage points from a year earlier, while Apple's share fell 3.5 points to 43.5 percent.

Windows Phone, boosted by the new operating system introduced last year from Microsoft, increased its share to 4.1 percent, according to the survey released Monday.

Beginning of the end for apple? :eek:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Beginning of the end for apple? :eek:
:D

grumpycats.jpg

It seems there is a report, survey or analysis each month with such varying numbers that the data is pretty much useless and inconsistent.

The solid numbers Apple get from carriers contradicts a lot of what that exact survey found.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The fact that Apple was leading in market share 4Q 2012 was an anomaly....the leader had been Samsung since early 2008......

:rolleyes: "Apple is doomed."

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The fact that Apple was leading in market share 4Q 2012 was an anomaly....the leader had been Samsung since early 2008......

:rolleyes: "Apple is doomed."

was it samsung or android? These comparisons usually compare apple to android, which is a little unfair since only apple makes IOS devices.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
was it samsung or android? These comparisons usually compare apple to android, which is a little unfair since only apple makes IOS devices.

Ya that's true - I was speaking about the OEM marketshare which Apple took over (for the first time) in 4Q 2012....

Point being, they've never had the lead - why anyone thinks this is some sign of their demise is beyond me.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I guess Apple is doomed again! Better sell all my Apple products. I wish I had a nickel for every one of these "Apple is doomed" threads, I would have a jet on 24 hour standby.

cinnabun93

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Obviously Apple is going to lose market share....Android is an open source platform with tons of phones...Apple comes out with one model a year. Apple is and always will be a niche and i'm fine with that because not everyone has Apple's products and they are closed and extremely reliable. I'm not complaining. Look at the Mac market share...what is it 7%. They need to focus on building the best phones and not the most. Look at Mercedes...they build few cars but they build some of the best.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Hope Windows phone 8 gets some serious marketshare so the allmighty developers feel the need to embrace the OS.

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
ios has a huge chunk of the market, what did they aim for, 1 per cent or something? i find it very impressive how far theyve come.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
These threads are a JOKE!

seriously they have 40+% marketshare and yet they're suddenly doomed...

Rim/blackberry is now as .9% .... Now that's when its valid to start to call 'doomed', but not at the company with 40+% still....

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Kantar Worldpanel was the only survey to give Apple the US market share lead in Q4. Where and how they get their data is a bit of a mystery, because they dont explain if they are pulling device data, OS data or web browsing data for their surveys. Anything posted by this company should be taken with a grain of salt.

AppleInsider posted the Q4 survey prominently all over the place when Kantar said Apple had the market share lead in the US. Now that Kantar says Android is leading in the US, there is no mention of this new Kantar survey. The irony.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Profits margin have nothing to do with the topic of the thread mate....

Of course it does.

The OP only made one comment:

"Beginning of the end for apple?"

I was responding to the question directly.

Lots of internet companies went bankrupted when the internet bubble burst because they only had marketshare, but had no profits.

The truth is that many of the Android handset makers will go bankrupt long before Apple does.

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Of course it does.

The OP only made one comment:

"Beginning of the end for apple?"

I was responding to the question directly.

Lots of internet companies went bankrupted when the internet bubble burst because they only had marketshare, but had no profits.

The truth is that many of the Android handset makers will go bankrupt long before Apple does.

I can see HTC having problems in the future if they dont become "relevant" soon but the top android handset makers have plenty of bussines outside mobile market.

At the moment i think theres a trend of people jumping to android (being specific to samsung phones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.