Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkochano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
:confused: I am an expectant dad who is ready to switch to Mac before the baby arrives. I am deciding between an iMac Rev. B or the new Mac Minis- if they do arrive. Obviously money is an issue with my newly expanding family. I will be using it for family pictures and editing baby/family videos and stuff like that, and I would like a machine that does not take forever to deal with those types of programs (like my Dell). What should I do- will the Mini do it or do I need the iMac? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on camcorders as well. Thanks!

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
They fixed a lot of issues with the newest imac. I would recommend the base level one. Its 1299, but you are getting a refined version of the design that will allow you do a lot of wonderful things like edit and watch video, photobooth would be the bomb when you are holding the baby.

Remember the total cost of ownership comes into play. If you get a good solid system that is current, you might not need to upgrade until junior is in preschool or kindergarden.

Scott

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
I think they'll both suit your needs - they're plenty strong to do basic photo and video editing. I mean, my powerbook is just 2 years old and was as powerfull as laptops go - a pro-machine so to say. And today both the iMac and the mini has much faster processors than my pb. If you really want to you can upgrade the ram, you'll really feel the speed increase, but you should also be fine with the 512 they come with.

On a side note, iMovie is really the perfect amateur video editer imo. Extremely easy and intuitive to learn and use.

A

Bad_JuJu

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
North of Kalifornia
As mentioned - either will do - it really comes down to cost and what you can afford. If you already have a Dell system - printer etc - then you are the target market for the Mini. Just move your important data files to either a USB memory stick or burn them onto a CDROM. Unplug your PC - plug in the Mini - you're good to go.

Things to consider on the switch - niether the Mini or the iMac support the old style parallel printers - or - old PS/2 keyboards / mice. Also with either machine 512MB memory is the minimum you need. and with either system you'll want a USB2 4 port hub ($40) for added flexibility.

I'd look at it this way-

If $$ are an issue - get the Mini so you can at least make the move to OS X and Apple ------ you'll never regret that -- in a couple of years or so you can upgrade

If $$ are not an issue - go for the iMac

Something else to consider - as you start to build a "digital life" (pictures / music on your mac) you should invest in a 60GB USB2 (or firewire) external drive to back your stuff up --- bad things can happen on any computer

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ok, now what kind of monitor/keyboard/mouse do you have? The Mini is a deal, but you do need those components. For not too much more you get a much more capable machine (meaning more time before upgrading again) in the iMac, whichever size you get you cannot go wrong. I would say get an iMac, cause even though money is an issue right now, the iMac would hold you for at least 3-5 years before you might consider getting another computer.
The iMac is $1299 for the 17" but the G5 processor is much much better than the G4 (in the mini). You are an iMac man, and then you will have a child born right into the world of Macintosh. How it should be done :) :rolleyes: :)

nkochano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like the iMac is really the way to go. My peripherals are not brand new, so the Mini does not seem like the best option. I appreciate the advice- I'll let you know when I join the Mac family!

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I have a 20-inch Rev B iMac and absolutely love it!!! I use it heavily for family photos and video projects and the software included with OSX has it all. I could not be any happier with my Apple, and I personally think it is better looking than the new iMac with its humped back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.