Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
I opened MacRumors.com just now and a video about the new iSteve movie began to play. How do I prevent this from happening?

I am using Safari 6.0.3 on Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I tried it with all extensions turned off and it still happened. I do not have Flash installed. (If I need Flash I open Google Chrome which has a Flash player embedded within it.)

I've gone through all the all the Preference options and Menu options but cannot see what might be contributing to this behavior as I am certain it was not happening a day or two ago. I do have the Safari "Develop" menu turned on, but I have not selected any of the options.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Only people with Flash disabled or uninstalled had the video HTML5 autoplay.

We've moved the video behind the jump so that it only autoplays for people who have Flash disabled and open the standard page. Only had a couple people mention it, though.

<b>Edit</u>: We moved it behind an image link so you have to click the image and it takes you to Funny or Die's website.

Last edited:

Drew61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Try ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions.

Thanks for your help! I think I will submit a feedback request to Apple to add a new feature to Safari to disable HTML5 auto play if selected. This happens on quite a number of sites and I find it extremely annoying, to the extent that I no longer visit those sites.

Drew61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
You could switch to a more customisable browser. I use Firefox for just that reason.

Thanks for your input. Safari is not perfect, but one thing I really like about it is that all my bookmarks and open tabs are available across my devices: MBA, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, via iCloud without me having to organize anything.

Cheers,
D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.