Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I like the idea of banner notifications, but do you notice how when they pop up, you sometimes have to wait a few seconds for it to disappear before you can go back to what you are doing?

Do you have any ideas on how to tweak this? Or, how do other phone OS handle this?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
1. Jailbreak your phone (hopefully your on 6.1.2 or earlier)

2. Install a tweak called CoverMeNot in Cydia

3. ????

4. Profit!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Pull banner down just a bit and flick it back up. Banner gone.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Wait...all this over 1-2 seconds.

Am I the only one that thinks this need for instantaneous response is getting a teeny bit out of hand?

:rolleyes:

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wait...all this over 1-2 seconds.

Am I the only one that thinks this need for instantaneous response is getting a teeny bit out of hand?

:rolleyes:

What's the need for half, if not more, of the crap the phone (errr, device) can do?

It's annoying when you're in an application and it is in the way. i.e. You're in text messages and you get a banner notification...it covers the "messages" ('back' button basically) and "edit" buttons. So you want to go back to your list of conversations you either have to swipe it away, wait for it, or try to touch the tiny bit of the back button that is viewable. And if you try to do that, you might hit the notification and it launches whatever app the notice is for...even trying to swipe it away sometimes results in this

To me, it's not the fact that it's there for a few seconds, it's the fact that the banner notifications are intrusive and require an action or for you to just wait it out. There's a status bar at the top...they should have just went all out and completely copied android and just incorporate notifications into the status bar.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What's the need for half, if not more, of the crap the phone (errr, device) can do?

It's annoying when you're in an application and it is in the way. i.e. You're in text messages and you get a banner notification...it covers the "messages" ('back' button basically) and "edit" buttons. So you want to go back to your list of conversations you either have to swipe it away, wait for it, or try to touch the tiny bit of the back button that is viewable. And if you try to do that, you might hit the notification and it launches whatever app the notice is for...even trying to swipe it away sometimes results in this

To me, it's not the fact that it's there for a few seconds, it's the fact that the banner notifications are intrusive and require an action or for you to just wait it out. There's a status bar at the top...they should have just went all out and completely copied android and just incorporate notifications into the status bar.

Just two quick points...

You can turn the banners off, and if Android has a better system....well, you know.:D

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Just two quick points...

You can turn the banners off, and if Android has a better system....well, you know.:D

Oh...I can??? Wow, didn't know that! :rolleyes:

Let's see what my other options are:

COMPLETELY intrusive "alert" style options or;
No notifications at all

Great options. Banner is the best of the bunch, but it needs work. And as far as offering up to change OI's, well, it's been a while since I've been active here I forgot that we're not allowed to criticize any aspect of the iPhone. iOS is perfect, as is the device...sorry for forgetting.

The S4 has my attention though, and my upgrade in May will have me testing the Android waters.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

No notifications at all

Great options. Banner is the best of the bunch, but it needs work. And as far as offering up to change OI's, well, it's been a while since I've been active here I forgot that we're not allowed to criticize any aspect of the iPhone. iOS is perfect, as is the device...sorry for forgetting.

The S4 has my attention though, and my upgrade in May will have me testing the Android waters.

OOH...sarcasm. I am well and properly chastised.:D

I have no commitment to Apple, or any other electronic producer. Feel free to criticize all you want...no issue for me. Enjoy!

I don't really give a tinker's dam what anybody uses. Apple...fine. Android...fine. Any other...also fine.

I use Apple stuff, and frankly could care less whether anybody else uses it or not.

Sorry if I seemed to insult you intelligence by suggesting turning off the Banner function. It was not my intention.:D

Last edited:

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011

No notifications at all

Your crying over a notification? God help us all if you cant wait that long hard few seconds wait in your extremely busy day. And as for your outburst against the "COMPLETELY intrusive alert style" it comes with a close button which can be clicked and is much shorter than "waiting for the banner to disappear" I'm sure android will satisfy these notification disasters.

Last edited:

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Without the sophomoric jabs and silly hurt feelings, I think we can all agree that notifications are intrusive, even if for a few seconds.

How does andriod and Windows phone handle notifications?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree. I find it annoying. Notifications are constantly blocking the back button in many apps.

I've actually gotten pretty good at hitting the little bit of the back button showing in tapatalk.

Here is my issue with it.

1. It blocks the back button and you wait for it to go away or swipe right to left. If you are getting a load of notifications like going from a weak signal area to good or using a CDMA phone and getting off a long phone call it just sucks.

2. You read the notification a but take too long and actually go to tap it but it goes away. Then you end up scrolling to the top of whatever it is you were doing/reading.

Sure it's certainly a first world problem but that doesn't make it less annoying. I feel it was a half assed design. FAR better then it used to be though!! Lol

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
They usually do not bother me except when listening to music or a podcast, you get that quick pause & decrease in sound in the music/talking. I've considered just turning them off completely just to prevent this. But other that that, I find nothing intrusive about them.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Aside from some of the sarcasm displayed in this thread I wanted to thank the OP for brining the topic up.

Without this thread I wouldn't have known you just swipe down a bit on the banner and then release for it to clear out of your way.

Previously, like the OP I'd wait for it to disappear and tap the small part of the back button in an app that I needed to go back and found this very meticulous and annoying. I then turned off most banners because I felt it was obtrusive to my iOS experience.

Now that I know I can clear them with ease I'm more inclined to use banners.

One note, I do have a JB iP5 and installed DietBulletin which is a nice tweak that lets you customize the size of your banners. I made them a bit smaller than stock and went with the Navigation Bar sized banners.

Last edited:

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Your crying over a notification? God help us all if you cant wait that long hard few seconds wait in your extremely busy day. And as for your outburst against the "COMPLETELY intrusive alert style" it comes with a close button which can be clicked and is much shorter than "waiting for the banner to disappear" I'm sure android will satisfy these notification disasters.

Crying? I assure you, I've shed no tears. I love the Apple community: Don't like something about one of their products and *******s like you put in their .5 cent worth of input.

Yes, there IS indeed a "close" button for the alert style notifications...did I say there wasn't? I said it's completely intrusive...which it is. It completely interrupts whatever you're doing and REQUIRES a response from the user. At least the banner notifications do not require a response. They are a clear improvement over the 'alerts', but can still use some work.

And that last line is the whole point; there's room for improvement. It's stupid comments like yours that get threads off topic and onto tangents. If you're perfectly happy with how things are, keep your mouth shut. There are obviously people who want to see continual improvement from devices they pay a lot of money for and use on a daily basis.

----------

I agree. I find it annoying. Notifications are constantly blocking the back button in many apps.

I've actually gotten pretty good at hitting the little bit of the back button showing in tapatalk.

Here is my issue with it.

1. It blocks the back button and you wait for it to go away or swipe right to left. If you are getting a load of notifications like going from a weak signal area to good or using a CDMA phone and getting off a long phone call it just sucks.

2. You read the notification a but take too long and actually go to tap it but it goes away. Then you end up scrolling to the top of whatever it is you were doing/reading.

Sure it's certainly a first world problem but that doesn't make it less annoying. I feel it was a half assed design. FAR better then it used to be though!! Lol

Don't go crying now, we're not allowed to have a negative opinion about anything.

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Crying? I assure you, I've shed no tears. I love the Apple community: Don't like something about one of their products and *******s like you put in their .5 cent worth of input.

Yes, there IS indeed a "close" button for the alert style notifications...did I say there wasn't? I said it's completely intrusive...which it is. It completely interrupts whatever you're doing and REQUIRES a response from the user. At least the banner notifications do not require a response. They are a clear improvement over the 'alerts', but can still use some work.

And that last line is the whole point; there's room for improvement. It's stupid comments like yours that get threads off topic and onto tangents. If you're perfectly happy with how things are, keep your mouth shut. There are obviously people who want to see continual improvement from devices they pay a lot of money for and use on a daily basis.

I am in no way an apple fanboy but its annoying when people have to moan about everything apple do, with something so small. You cant please everyone I suppose.

First people moaned about the first alerts, now people moaning about the banners. What do you want them to do? If you cant swipe down on a banner and release or swipe right to left, i don't think a touch screen is for you.

No my comment simply stated a way around your distress, nothing off topic there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.