Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyd409

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I just got a new MBP and I want to move my Keychains from my iMac to the MBP. I believe all I have to do is copy the keychains to a flash drive and then to the MBP (10.8.3). But...

I noticed I have several Keychains on my iMac (10.7.3)...

user.keychain
user2.keychain
login.keychain
metadata.keychain

where the user and user2 are the same user name (my only user name) with the number 2 appended to my user name.

I have 2 questions...

1. What are all those Keychains?
2. Do I need to copy all of them? (I assume yes)
3. Can I just copy the Keychains to a flash drive (from the iMac) and then just copy those Keychains to my MBP?

Thanks, I really appreciate the info and advice.

Andy

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
By default you would only have the login and metadata keychains. You must have manually added the other two at some point. Open keychain app then open each one to figure out which one you are actually using.

All you normally need to move over is the login one. Just copy it over with the USB key and replace login with the current login keychain. After you copy it over you will need to logout of the account and then log back in for the new (copied) keychain to be recognized.

andyd409

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
By default you would only have the login and metadata keychains. You must have manually added the other two at some point. Open keychain app then open each one to figure out which one you are actually using.

All you normally need to move over is the login one. Just copy it over with the USB key and replace login with the current login keychain. After you copy it over you will need to logout of the account and then log back in for the new (copied) keychain to be recognized.

Thanks for the help. I found I was using something from all of them, so I just copied them all.

Except for the: metadata.keychain

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.