Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook is hosting an event on Thursday said to be centered around the debut of its long rumored Facebook phone. A photo of the device that might be the star of the show was today leaked by @evleaks, a frequent provider of accurate pre-release Android info.

htcfirst.jpg
The HTC First is rumored to feature Facebook Home, a custom launcher and home screen that focuses on deep Facebook integration.

There are no confirmed details available, but according to Android Police, the HTC First (originally codenamed Myst) is a midrange phone with a 4.3-inch display that has 720p HD resolution, a dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, 1GB of RAM, a 5MP rear camera, and a 1.6MP front-facing camera

Facebook's event is set to take place on Thursday, April 4 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time at the company's Menlo Park campus.

Article Link: Facebook's iPhone Competitor Rumored to Be HTC First, Here's What It Looks Like

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I suppose we will have to wait and see, but I am not sure how typical Facebook users (those that actually enjoy using their service) would benefit from deeper Facebook integration. Facebook would obviously benefit by collecting more user information, but I feel current level of integration is more deep than I would like to.

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
let it begin

as retribution for Apple turning its back on the pro community, I will relish watching them slide down the charts as they get out-smarted & out-designed.
:p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
why is every Smartphone a "iPhone Competitor" in the Media nowdays? it justs asks for a fanboys war to happen

i dont see A&F and Diesel fighting over who has the bluest jeans

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The worst part is that this will actually be popular with the 12-16 year olds who still think Facebook is 'cool'.

I predict a flop.

AshtonTS

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
This phone isn't going to compete with the iPhone at all. However, apple better watch out for the Galaxy S4, because that phone is better than any leaked info about the iPhone 5S, and much more than the iPhone 5

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Looks the same as nearly every smartphone HTC has come out with. I certainly wouldn't call it a 'first'.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I suppose we will have to wait and see, but I am not sure how typical Facebook users (those that actually enjoy using their service) would benefit from deeper Facebook integration. Facebook would obviously benefit by collecting more user information, but I feel current level of integration is more deep than I would like to.

I think it's more of an attempt to gain leverage against competitors in the mobile ad market, especially against Google

Bake FB into the phone instead of just treating it as a downloadable app and they gain an advantage

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The worst part is that this will actually be popular with the 12-16 year olds who still think Facebook is 'cool'.

I predict a flop.

I thought that market didn't use Facebook? I thought they had moved on to Tumbler or something like that.

Oh yeah, and Apple is Doooooomed!!!

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
"Mid Range Phone"

I love that this 4.3" screen is "midrange", yet Apple is so damn stubborn with their small screen size.

I love the iPhone but give me a bigger screen for the love of GOD! The S4 will look like the best phone again.

No way the iphone is getting any bigger for at least another year! So bad for APPLE! They need to get their head out of their...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.