Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Not sure if any of you guys have heard about the Charge Card or not, but I just posted a review about the company and their 30-pin Charge Card. After emailing the COO, he created a new discount code to give free shipping world wide and take off $5. That means that all charge cards are the same price as a cord!

Use the Discount Code "MacRumors"

I have really enjoyed using my Charge Card, you guys should check out their products here!

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Thought this was an external battery, and was looking for the capacity. I guess it's just a charging cable. Not really helpful to me cause you would still need something to charge your device with, ie: laptop, usb charger, etc. If I'm carrying around a laptop, I'm sure I wouldn't mind carrying around a normal sized cable.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Thought this was an external battery, and was looking for the capacity. I guess it's just a charging cable. Not really helpful to me cause you would still need something to charge your device with, ie: laptop, usb charger, etc. If I'm carrying around a laptop, I'm sure I wouldn't mind carrying around a normal sized cable.

This. Especially at $25.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Not trying to knock the product (Lord knows we could all use more innovation in this day and age of globally linked economies) but when I bought my iP5 I paid another $19 for an extra Lightning cable. With the $5 discount and free shipping this ChargeCard product is still a dollar more.

Maybe if the ChargeCard came with its own wall wart or something so that it became self contained, then it might be worth it.

A couple years ago I received a Zagg charger for my birthday, it has been indispensable. It will fully charge my phone approximately 1-1/2 to 2 times before it needs recharging itself, althugh I don't know how much it cost originally.

----------

Just looked at it, it's the ZaggSparq Model 3100 although it costs $69...!

But they have a smaller model (1220) that charges the phone once, it is $39.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think it is pretty cool that it can go in your wallet like another credit card--just for emergencies.

I can usually find a USB port/charger but not always a cable.

The main drawback is that it is so short.

Can see using it, say, at an airport if I forgot my charging cable (assuming I can find one of the 6.89% of the USB charging ports that actually works and is not already being used).

Michael

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
You guys have good points, I agree. But for me, I carry my laptop around all the time and it is nice to just have a cord whenever I need it. The Charge card has functionality I feel like you guys are just missing it.
On the go? --> New Trent Battery Pack (or other battery)
In your car? --> Car Charger with USB output
Anywhere with your laptop? --> USB on your laptop
(This is why i deemed it "the jumper cable for your iPhone).

You would think it would be breakable but the middle "tongue" stayed outstretched an entire night charging my iPad and the next morning, it just snapped into place and went right back to normal (I write about this in my review).

You can get a Lightning Cable for around $15-$20 today. But if you need to have a cable on you always, this is a solution. I really think people should consider this versus a cord considering it is on sale for $20 with free shipping worldwide.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I don't get it. Does it charge the phone as a battery? If not how does a rigid thin card attach to a wall charger?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I don't get it. Does it charge the phone as a battery? If not how does a rigid thin card attach to a wall charger?
It is not a battery. It is meant to replace a charging cord.

The "cord" in this case is very short and folds out of the middle of the card to connect to USB. A corner of the card attaches to the device to be charged.

iphone5_480_large.png

Michael

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure if the guys in this thread are being extra critical, or mad they didn't come up with an idea first.

Guys, listen to his analogy: Its a jumper cable for your iphone. you are paying for the convenience of placing it in your wallet for "anywhere you go capability".

I, for one, think its a pretty awesome idea. I've been in many situations where I needed a quick charge, and definitely at work where im all around town, but always with a computer nearby.

Now, it would be awesome if the "strip" portion of the card was "spiraled" allowing for longer length when you "un-spiral" it. But I think its a neat idea, for any "on the go" situation. because this day and age, USB ports are popping up everywhere. Even in random wall sockets.

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Not sure if the guys in this thread are being extra critical, or mad they didn't come up with an idea first.

Guys, listen to his analogy: Its a jumper cable for your iphone. you are paying for the convenience of placing it in your wallet for "anywhere you go capability".

I, for one, think its a pretty awesome idea. I've been in many situations where I needed a quick charge, and definitely at work where im all around town, but always with a computer nearby.

Now, it would be awesome if the "strip" portion of the card was "spiraled" allowing for longer length when you "un-spiral" it. But I think its a neat idea, for any "on the go" situation. because this day and age, USB ports are popping up everywhere. Even in random wall sockets.

This is exactly my point! I 100% agree. Because there are so many potential places to charge around the city. I like the direction the company is going and they have a pleasure to work with!

dcleveland

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
awesome

Whoa, I've never seen a portable iPhone charger like this. Def want to try it out, especially since it's only $25.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So about a month ago I was in an accident that totaled my car. At midnight. Small town country road and all that.

All I had with me at the hospital was my iPhone which was at 20%. I ended up getting a ride to a convenience store across from where I worked to grab something to eat. I had to buy a $30 iPhone charger to charge up my iPhone. I could've waited until I got to my work to charge on one of our PCs if I had this.

Eh, either pay the money now or later I guess. If that store didn't have any chargers I'd be SOL. Guess I could've walked to Walmart and bought one.

Ok, I'm still on the fence on t his.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I love the idea! I don't lug around my laptop on my spare time, and stuffing a charger cable in my pocket when I'm going to a friend's house for dinner for instance just isn't something I do. But another card in my wallet? Doesn't really make a difference. I've got cards in there I haven't seen in months. And 20 dollars as a one time insurance to always have a charger? Even if I only use it a handful of times to show it off to friends, it's still less of a waste of money than buying that last drink before going home or the food that we throw out because the best before date is reached.

For us who tend to want to carry around as little as possible but still be able to charge the phone on the go, it's absolutely fantastic.

Probably not gonna get one though...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Okay, I want to get one. But where am I supposed to enter the code?

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Im looking at the Nomad Keychain Lightning Cable when the Pre-orders start on Sat.

What makes you interested int the Nomad Keychain Lightning Cable versus the Charge Card Lightning edition? Just wondering, because I personally think both are really ingenious ideas for portable charging.

One deficit to the Keychain for me would be that my keys get thrown around alot, and the USB drive that has been on my keys is broken due to my "habits." Not to mention rain and the potential of the cord flying off at some point. Thats my personal thoughts though. I do like the fact that it is an actual cord.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What makes you interested int the Nomad Keychain Lightning Cable versus the Charge Card Lightning edition? Just wondering, because I personally think both are really ingenious ideas for portable charging.

One deficit to the Keychain for me would be that my keys get thrown around alot, and the USB drive that has been on my keys is broken due to my "habits." Not to mention rain and the potential of the cord flying off at some point. Thats my personal thoughts though. I do like the fact that it is an actual cord.

On top of that it is not locked in--only held in by a couple of detents. My experience with designs like that is that they always get loose--if not start out too loose. So I can see it inadvertently detaching. I had a few memory sticks that would come apart like that. I think it would be better if the USB end--or even the the lightening end too--slid inside and the device was one piece. It's not like you would use this all the time. It would be for emergency situations so taking it off a keyring, to me, would not be a big deal.

Michael

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON

I just like that it is a cable. I most likely wouldn't keep it on my keychain.

Pros/Cons to both designs.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Its almost at the very end of the transaction. One of the last pages. If you can not figure it out, you can PM me.

Oh, so I can't enter it if I want to pay via PayPal?

----------

If I purchased a Nomad, it'd be hanging by my computer at home. I don't need a long charger cable when plugging it in to the computer, so it'd be a way of having less clutter (shorter cables) on my desk :)

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
The nomad would be cool if both the USB and lightning connectors would slide out kind of like a Swiss Army knife.

Leaving the lightning connector opened like that would trash it with your keys.

Last edited:

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Oh, so I can't enter it if I want to pay via PayPal?

----------

If I purchased a Nomad, it'd be hanging by my computer at home. I don't need a long charger cable when plugging it in to the computer, so it'd be a way of having less clutter (shorter cables) on my desk :)

I did not pay via PayPal, so I am not sure. I know you could email them and they could take care of it. They answered my emails within the same day.

And I can see how that makes sense. No doubt that it creates less clutter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.