Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Code sharing - We have a problem, and it's not just the stealing, it's the devs too

Besides the already established problem of developers getting their codes redeemed with no thanks or reviews whatsoever and copied on blogs, and the newbies who come here just for them, the code sharing area here just gets worse and worse.

In the last few recent weeks, I have seen some really awful apps and games being posted here. Everything from developers using names of other known games for a game that is completely different, to another that calls his game something different to what is actually in the game title.

And worst of all, some of these developers are giving promotional codes to apps with heavy advertising. I just played one that had iAds in the ACTUAL gameplay. Right there under the controls!

But worst of all, the quality is just getting worse. There's so many tools that some of these developers could be using, and they just use the cheapest/crappiest of assets they can get on the internet. There is no love put into most of these apps either, they lack any real thought put into them.

I shouldn't have to post on THEIR Facebook/site to get a code either. A lot of them are doing this too now.

I honestly think that if developers were forced to pay the same subscription fee, like contributors here, except for them, that the section would be better off. It's not like they aren't paying the $99 Apple fee anyway.

And really, kick out the newbies out of that section. It's not good for MR or the developers to have them here. Someone just lost out on 50 promo codes because some idiot decided to copy and paste the WHOLE page to their spammy blog. They don't contribute to this site, so why are we letting them have a free snack?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

More the agree: Minimal post count of 50 to get access to read; accounts with vendor info can access before

And all codes must be placed as image to avoid simple copy and paste; that might slow down a bit the process to redeem and increase the chance to more members ?
And no external postings required (like Facebook); its for the MR community or not ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:49 AM   #3
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I shouldn't have to post on THEIR Facebook/site to get a code either. A lot of them are doing this too now.
This isn't allowed and should be reflected in newly updated rules sometime soon, according to an email I received from the Admins when I inquired about whether I should report posts that do this or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
And really, kick out the newbies out of that section. It's not good for MR or the developers to have them here. Someone just lost out on 50 promo codes because some idiot decided to copy and paste the WHOLE page to their spammy blog. They don't contribute to this site, so why are we letting them have a free snack?
Completely agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
And all codes must be placed as image to avoid simple copy and paste; that might slow down a bit the process to redeem and increase the chance to more members ?
Good idea, though I don't know how easy that would be to implement and moderate. Perhaps MR could provide an entry form for the codes that would post them as images.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
dejo

(Disclaimer: I'm a developer and a moderator.)

I agree with the sentiments expressed here. The apps forums have become something of a spam-hole, whereby developers are joining the forums for the sole purpose of promoting their apps and have no other involvement in this community. I doubt that was the intention when the Guidelines for Software Developers were first set up.

I'm not sure we can do much to address the "quality" of the apps (i.e. obvious ripoffs, misleading names, etc.); that onus falls more on the App Store Review Team, I would think. But developers who come here to promote their apps must do so within the Guidelines for Software Developers. If you see threads/posts that are in violation of these guidelines, the moderation team would appreciate your help; please report such posts. And the team thanks you for that.

As for promo codes, I think in order to prevent abuse, we should require that they be sent to interested parties via PM and not posted as a block in the forums. This would prevent newbies from getting access, since newbies can't use PM, as well as prevent copying-and-pasting the codes list to some third-party resource.
dejo is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
roxxette
Banned

Couldnt agree more ! I still dont know why that part of the forum is still public, atleast make it so only register users can see it.

Regarding the quality i doubt something can be done about it, maybe like you say and have devs pay a fee (1 year subs) to be able to post in the area.

Btw the people that copy the codes need to get a grip one time saw a guy blatanly say he "grab all the codes".

Last edited by roxxette; Apr 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: More.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Agree with all of the above. Why not limit access like the marketplace?
Another useful idea would be to have 2 sub folders. iOS & iOX (or make it mandatory to have in the thread title). As someone who is relatively new to Macs (but not iOS) I would appreciate the distinction.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
As for promo codes, I think in order to prevent abuse, we should require that they be sent to interested parties via PM and not posted as a block in the forums. This would prevent newbies from getting access, since newbies can't use PM, as well as prevent copying-and-pasting the codes list to some third-party resource.
But can a newbie-developer use PM ? Send/receive ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
But can a newbie-developer use PM ? Send/receive ?
No, they can't, no newbies can, as seen in the MR FAQ:
Quote:
Before you can send a Private Message or email to another forum member, these conditions must apply:
  1. You must have a post count of at least 5, as shown in your user profile.
  2. You must have been a forum member at least one day.
dejo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:49 PM   #9
eric/

Solution:

New accounts must register as vendor, must have 50 posts before they can view the dev forum, 100 before they can post.

Or something like that.

It'll really weed the spammers out, I think.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
ravenvii
macrumors 604

The iPad apps forum used to be a forum where we discuss the best apps and make recommendations, and so forth.

Those days are over. I no longer visit the forum because it is 90% spam. I'm shocked the admins/mods here let that go on for so long.

I 100% agree that newbies need to be given the boot from the apps forums.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback